What Are the Axioms and Identities for Two-Dimensional Lie Algebras?

In summary: I learned a lot from this!In summary, In a two dimensional nonabelian Lie algebra, there is a basis of vectors {x, y} which satisfies the following equation: [x, y] = x. The Jacobi identity holds for all vectors a, b, and c if and only if a, b, and c are distinct.
valtz
I read in mark wildon book "introduction to lie algebras"
"Let F be any field. Up to isomorphism there is a unique two-dimensional nonabelian
Lie algebra over F. This Lie algebra has a basis {x, y} such that its Lie
bracket is described by [x, y] = x"

and I'm curious,

How can i proof with this bracket [x,y] = x, satisfies axioms of Lie algebra such that
[a,a] = 0 for $a \in L$
and satisfies jacoby identity

cause we only know about bracket of basis vector for L

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the commutator is anti-commuting, that [x,y] = - [y,x]
What happens when y = x?

As to the Jacobi identity, try it with two of the variables equal. See how much constraint the Jacobi identity will make on a 2-generator algebra.

lpetrich said:
Note that the commutator is anti-commuting, that [x,y] = - [y,x]
What happens when y = x?

As to the Jacobi identity, try it with two of the variables equal. See how much constraint the Jacobi identity will make on a 2-generator algebra.

can u give me some example for two dimensional lie algebra?

valtz, the important thing here is working out such things in general, rather than for some specific case. That way, you'll know what's always true without having to go into the details of specific cases.

Basically, you need to fill in the details. Brackets are supposed to be bilinear, anticommutative and satisfy [a,a]=0. So given what you wrote you should be able to derive the following general formula for the bracket of two vectors:
[itex][ax+by, cx+dy]=ac[x,x]+ad[x,y]+bc[y,x]+bd[y,y] = (ad-bc)x [/itex]
Using that general formula, you should be able to prove that [a,a]=0 for all a, and that the Jacoby identity holds.

Here is "real" example of such a 2 dim Lie algebra. Consider smooth functions defined on the real line and let L be the set of linear, first order, differential operators generated by
d/dx and x(d/dx). Notice that their commutator is d/dx.

Actually, one can derive [a,a] = 0 from antisymmetry.

If [b,a] = - [a,b], then [a,b] + [b,a] = 0
By setting b = a, we get 2[a,a] = 0
yielding [a,a] = 0

Turning to the Jacobi identity, it is
[a,[b,c]] + [b,[c,a]] + [c,[a,b]]= 0

For a = b = c, it's 3[a,[a,a]] = 0
For b = c, it's [a,[b,b]] + [b,[b,a]] + [b,[a,b]] = - [b,[a,b]] + [b,[a,b]] = 0

Thus, the Jacobi identity provides no additional constraints in these cases. However, it will if a,b,c are distinct.

In my earlier posts, I was giving hints in the hope that valtz would then work out the derivations using them.

lpetrich said:
valtz, the important thing here is working out such things in general, rather than for some specific case. That way, you'll know what's always true without having to go into the details of specific cases.

Vargo said:
Basically, you need to fill in the details. Brackets are supposed to be bilinear, anticommutative and satisfy [a,a]=0. So given what you wrote you should be able to derive the following general formula for the bracket of two vectors:
[itex][ax+by, cx+dy]=ac[x,x]+ad[x,y]+bc[y,x]+bd[y,y] = (ad-bc)x [/itex]
Using that general formula, you should be able to prove that [a,a]=0 for all a, and that the Jacoby identity holds.

Here is "real" example of such a 2 dim Lie algebra. Consider smooth functions defined on the real line and let L be the set of linear, first order, differential operators generated by
d/dx and x(d/dx). Notice that their commutator is d/dx.

lpetrich said:
Actually, one can derive [a,a] = 0 from antisymmetry.

If [b,a] = - [a,b], then [a,b] + [b,a] = 0
By setting b = a, we get 2[a,a] = 0
yielding [a,a] = 0

Turning to the Jacobi identity, it is
[a,[b,c]] + [b,[c,a]] + [c,[a,b]]= 0

For a = b = c, it's 3[a,[a,a]] = 0
For b = c, it's [a,[b,b]] + [b,[b,a]] + [b,[a,b]] = - [b,[a,b]] + [b,[a,b]] = 0

Thus, the Jacobi identity provides no additional constraints in these cases. However, it will if a,b,c are distinct.

In my earlier posts, I was giving hints in the hope that valtz would then work out the derivations using them.

thanks for your answer , i understand now about two dimensional lie algebra

but can u give "real(not field)" example two dimensional non abelian lie algebra , from what vector space to what? and lie bracket define in there...
thanks guys

my essay is about lie algebra, sorry if I'm a little new in a lie algebra

thanks all for your help and answer

FAQ: What Are the Axioms and Identities for Two-Dimensional Lie Algebras?

1. What is a two dimensional Lie algebra?

A two dimensional Lie algebra is a mathematical structure that consists of two elements, typically denoted by X and Y, and a binary operation called the Lie bracket [X,Y]. This structure follows certain axioms and is used to study symmetries and transformations in mathematics and physics.

2. How is a two dimensional Lie algebra different from a regular algebra?

A two dimensional Lie algebra is different from a regular algebra in that it has a non-commutative binary operation, the Lie bracket [X,Y], instead of the usual multiplication operation. This non-commutativity allows for the study of symmetries and transformations, which cannot be captured by regular algebras.

3. What are some applications of two dimensional Lie algebras?

Two dimensional Lie algebras have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to study the symmetries of differential equations, to classify and analyze geometric structures, and to understand the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. They also have applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and economics.

4. What are the different types of two dimensional Lie algebras?

There are several types of two dimensional Lie algebras, including abelian, solvable, and nilpotent algebras. Abelian algebras have a commutative Lie bracket and are the simplest type. Solvable algebras have a chain of subalgebras that eventually lead to the whole algebra, and nilpotent algebras have a basis of elements that satisfy certain conditions related to the Lie bracket.

5. How are two dimensional Lie algebras related to Lie groups?

Two dimensional Lie algebras are closely related to Lie groups, which are continuous groups that can be studied using Lie algebras. In fact, every two dimensional Lie algebra corresponds to a unique two dimensional Lie group. This relationship allows for the study of symmetries and transformations in both algebraic and geometric contexts.