What are the basics of fusion in particle physics?

In summary, Fusion is a process that happens at energies below the range of interest in particle physics. It is best studied through texts in plasma physics and fusion engineering. While proton-proton fusion is found in stars, it is not practical for energy production on earth due to its low probability and the challenges of achieving high pressures and densities. It is recommended to focus on the basics of plasma physics before attempting to study fusion. Additionally, D-T fusion is a more viable option for energy production due to the higher energy output.
Deepak247
I'm trying to find fusion (let's say of 2 hydrogen nucleus) in particle physics,

I've just started with my self study of Particle physics book, any info in regards to fusion (Any Equation, solution) would be very helpfull..

THANKS.....

Physics news on Phys.org
My study uses Freidberg's Plasma physics and fusion energy for it's courses on fusion.

Actually I was looking for topics in particle physics that may help me study fusion...

Fusion is a topic mostly studied by plasma physicists and not by particle physicists

I'm trying to study fusion in detail but don't have a bachelors in physics background...
Someone told me to study quantum mechanics first then particle physics but Plasma physics is more suitable than particle physics for fusion...

Can someone guide me as to how to carry on my study...am i right until now?

I think it would be a better idea to study electromagnetism first

Deepak247 said:
I'm trying to find fusion (let's say of 2 hydrogen nucleus) in particle physics,

I've just started with my self study of Particle physics book, any info in regards to fusion (Any Equation, solution) would be very helpfull..

THANKS.....
The fusion process happens at energies (25-200 keV), which is well below the GeV/TeV range of interest in particle physics. It is best to look at texts in plasma physics and fusion engineering. Proton-proton fusion which is found in stars is impractial for fusion as a energy source on earth, because the reaction has such a lower probablity (cross-section), particuarly at the lower densities and pressures achieveable by man-made instruments. The sun uses it so well because the sun can sustain high pressures and densities, and it is so big (~330,000 Earth masses).

The challenge for fusion is in the engineering (applied physics).

I agree, I am a plasma scientist and you'd be much better learning the basics there then trying to grapple with quantum mechanics. Also Proton-proton fusion is impractical because the spin-spin interaction causing Helium 2 to be an unstable particle as well as the fact that D-T is so much higher energy output having an alpha particle with 3.5 MeV + a neutron with 14.1 MeV after reaction.

Related to What are the basics of fusion in particle physics?

1. What is particle physics in fusion?

Particle physics in fusion is the study of the interactions between particles at the atomic and subatomic level in the context of fusion reactions. This includes understanding the behavior of particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons, as well as their role in the fusion process.

2. How does particle physics contribute to fusion research?

Particle physics helps us understand the fundamental processes involved in fusion reactions, such as the behavior of particles in extreme temperatures and densities. This knowledge is crucial in designing and optimizing fusion reactors, as well as developing new technologies and materials for fusion energy production.

3. What role do particles play in the fusion reaction?

Particles are the building blocks of matter and energy, and they play a crucial role in fusion reactions. In order for fusion to occur, particles must overcome their natural repulsive forces and fuse together to form a new, heavier nucleus. In the process, a tremendous amount of energy is released.

4. What are some challenges in studying particle physics in fusion?

Studying particle physics in fusion can be challenging due to the extreme conditions required for fusion reactions to occur. This includes high temperatures and densities, as well as the production of intense radiation. Additionally, the behavior of particles at these extreme conditions can be difficult to predict and model accurately.

5. How is particle physics in fusion related to other areas of physics?

Particle physics in fusion is closely related to other areas of physics such as plasma physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. The study of particles and their interactions is also relevant in many other fields, including material science, energy production, and medical research.

Back