What Are the Best Advanced Books for Studying QED and QFT?

• Thread starter cpsinkule
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Qed
In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for books to study independently in quantum mechanics, general relativity, and quantum field theory. The books mentioned include Zettili's "Quantum Mechanics: Application and Concepts", RWT Gravitation and Schultz GR, Wald's book on general relativity, Michele Magiores' "A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory", Peskin's book on QFT, Landaus QED, Greiner's QED, Ryder's Quantum Field Theory, and Aitchison and Hey's two-volume set on QFT. Some suggestions were also made to watch lectures by David Tong and to use Mandl and Shaw's textbook on QFT. It was advised to avoid starting with Weinberg's or Z
cpsinkule
Hi All,

I am currently undergoing independent study in quantum mechanics with Zettili's "Quantum Mechanics: Application and Concepts" and would like to know some good books for independent study for the "next level". My ultimate goal is to end up on the forefront of physics in terms of grand unification\cosmology. I am almost done with Zettili's book and found it to be extrodinarily clear and understandable ( as much as one can understand QM). On the other side of the spectrum, I am using RWT Gravitation and Schultz GR for general relativity (I already have Wald's book, but I am saving that for later because I know it's far too advanced for me at this time). So, can anyone point me in the direction of the books I need for the next "levels". If the book is not self contained (there are mathematical subjects that aren't covered thoroughly enough for a self-learner, please suggest a book that I can fill in the missing parts with). I am guessing I need a good book on QED next, but I am not sure how to fill the gap between QED\RWT and something on the level of QFT\Wald.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Weinberg books are essential and similar in level to Wald's book

For a good intro, Michele Magiores "A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" is in my opinion a great book that, unlike Zee, is a great starter book and actually does calculations.

Of course you will also need Peskin, mostly because it is a standard and very useful for practical purposes (QFT means nothing if you can't do calculations with it).

The above three books discuss field theory as a whole. If you are looking to learn only QED and skip field theory methods then there are two books:

Landaus QED: This book discusses QED but the notation and viewpoint is a bit dated.

Greiner's QED: This book skips does not do much field theory but it covers feynman diagrams and is in my opinion VERY good at giving a physical intuition about QED.
Hope this helps

I would recommend Ryder's Quantum Field Theory

Of the many QFT books I have, the best introduction by far is Aitchison and Hey, in two volumes:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750308648/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Greiner's QED has been mentioned, but Greiner splits up the subject of QFT into several books, and I would suggest starting with Field Quantization, as it has a lot of good background coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daverz said:
... but Greiner splits up the subject of QFT into several books ...
That's one reason why I wouldn't recommen Greiner at all.

Besides textbooks, if you are self-studying then I would recommend you to watch David Tong lectures on QFT and follow his notes which I found very useful.

Also I would recommend the textbook by Mandl and Shaw on QFT. I would not recommend to start with Weinberg or Zee unless you already have a good notion of quantization and path integrals. On the other side I found Ryder to be too basic.

FAQ: What Are the Best Advanced Books for Studying QED and QFT?

1. What is QED and what does it stand for?

QED is an abbreviation for "Quantum Electrodynamics". It is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields.

2. Why are books on QED and related topics important?

Books on QED and related topics provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and equations that govern the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. They also offer insights into modern research and advancements in the field of quantum physics, which has numerous practical applications in technology and other scientific fields.

3. Who is QED et al and why are their suggested books reliable?

QED et al is a group of scientists who have made significant contributions to the field of quantum electrodynamics. Their suggested books are reliable because they are written by experts in the field and are based on extensive research and experimentation.

4. What are some recommended books for beginners in QED?

Some recommended books for beginners in QED include "Quantum Electrodynamics" by Richard Feynman, "Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder, and "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about QED?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning about QED, including lecture notes, video lectures, and online courses. Some recommended resources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and the Perimeter Institute's online lectures on QED.