What are the best intro books for topology?

In summary, topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that do not change under continuous deformations. It has practical applications in various fields and provides a framework for understanding abstract concepts in mathematics. Some common topological concepts include continuity, connectedness, and compactness. A good introductory book on topology should be accessible and include plenty of examples and exercises. Additionally, topology can be applied to real-world problems, such as studying the shape of DNA molecules or analyzing complex networks.
mateomy
I'm sure this has already been a thread but I'm currently taking my first analysis course and I was wondering (because the tiny bit I've been introduced to so far is so interesting) what the best intro books to topology would be.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
George Simmons - Introduction to topology and modern analysis
That's the nicest intro topology book I've come across so far (although iirc it does assume a knowledge of what open sets are and other basic things which don't take two seconds to pick up anyway)

FAQ: What are the best intro books for topology?

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that do not change under continuous deformations, such as stretching or bending, but not tearing or gluing. It is often described as the study of space and its properties.

2. Why is topology important?

Topology has many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer science. It also has important theoretical implications in fields such as algebra and analysis. Additionally, topology provides a framework for understanding abstract concepts and structures in mathematics.

3. What are some common topological concepts?

Some common topological concepts include continuity, connectedness, compactness, and convergence. Other important concepts include homeomorphisms, topological spaces, and topological invariants.

4. What makes a good introductory book on topology?

A good introductory book on topology should be accessible to those with a basic understanding of mathematics, yet still cover important concepts in depth. It should also include plenty of examples and exercises to help readers develop their understanding and problem-solving skills.

5. Can topology be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, topology has many practical applications in fields such as physics, biology, and computer science. For example, topological methods have been used to study the shape of DNA molecules and to analyze complex networks in social and technological systems.