What Are the Best Physics Textbooks for Understanding Soft Body Simulation?

In summary, the individual is seeking to create a soft body simulation with a realistic appearance and is looking for textbooks to gain a better understanding of physics concepts such as elasticity, plasticity, tensile and compressive strength, surface tension, and thermal changes. They prefer textbooks over online tutorials or paid courses and have a strong mathematics background. They are open to suggestions for textbooks, with one recommendation being Walford's Guide to Reference Material: Science and Technology.
Definite
Hello,

I have a background in 3D graphics programming. Presently I am attempting to create a soft body simulation. The simulation only needs the appearance of realism, scientific grade accuracy is not necessary.

I would like to base the surface deformation function on factors like elasticity/plasticity, tensile/compressive strength, surface tension, effect of thermal changes, etc. However I lack the requisite understanding of physics to achieve that outcome.

As such I am looking for textbooks that explain these concepts and demonstrate practical application of the related equations. I am guessing I need to study thermodynamics? I have a strong mathematics background so I should have no problem with any calculus etc that may be required.

I am specifically looking for books rather than online tutorials or paid courses. If anyone knows of some good textbooks that could give me a basic working understanding of those concepts I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Definite said:
I would like to base the surface deformation function on factors like elasticity/plasticity, tensile/compressive strength, surface tension, effect of thermal changes, etc. However I lack the requisite understanding of physics to achieve that outcome.

I think you have to study some Solid Physics or Material Science I have a good reference for you

Walford's Guide to Reference Material: Science and Technology

OK thanks I'll take a look

FAQ: What Are the Best Physics Textbooks for Understanding Soft Body Simulation?

1. How do I choose the right physics textbook for my level?

It is important to consider your current level of understanding and the specific topics you need to study when choosing a physics textbook. Look for textbooks that are recommended for your level or course, and check the table of contents to ensure it covers the relevant topics.

2. Are there any online resources for physics textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources for physics textbooks, such as e-books, PDFs, and online libraries. Some websites also offer free access to select physics textbooks. However, it is important to make sure these resources are reputable and up-to-date.

3. Do I need to purchase the latest edition of a physics textbook?

It is generally recommended to use the latest edition of a physics textbook, as it may include updated information and improved explanations. However, if the changes are minor, an older edition may still be suitable.

4. How can I save money when purchasing physics textbooks?

There are several ways to save money when purchasing physics textbooks. You can consider purchasing used textbooks, renting them, or buying electronic versions. You can also check with your school or local library to see if they have copies available for borrowing.

5. Are there any supplemental materials that come with physics textbooks?

Many publishers offer supplemental materials with their textbooks, such as study guides, practice problems, and online resources. Some textbooks may also come with access codes for online content. Be sure to check with the publisher or your instructor to see what materials are available for your textbook.