What are the best resources for preparing for the BAPC competition?

• Thread starter Max.Planck
  • Start date
In summary: There are many good books for C++. Some popular ones include "Effective C++", "The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference", and "Modern C++ Design".
Max.Planck
Hello,

Next year I want to participate in the BAPC (Benelux Algoritm Programming Contest). This contest will he held in Leiden and students of all Universities in the BeNeLux are allowed to participate. Now, I would like to know what is the best way to practise for such a competition.

Here are some example problems:
http://www.bapc.eu/2009-problems.pdf

Thanks!

Max.Planck

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org

Max.Planck said:
http://www.bapc.eu/2009-problems.pdf

Wow. Those are HORRIBLY written. I only read to the 4th problem, but there are so many assumptions, I'm just amazed. If this were some sort of brain teaser problem, then... fine, I guess. Or maybe if it were written by one teacher for their class (where the class could ask lots of more specific questions). But these are programming requirements for a multi-university contest? WTF?

If you want more practice problems, try Project Euler. They start off not too bad, but employ some interesting strategies as you continue.

DaveE

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for your post. Which language do you recommend for the competition? I can choose from C++ / Java / Pascal.

Thanks.

Max.Planck

Whatever you're comfortable with, really. In my experience, Java is probably the most competitive one to learn and use in the marketplace, although nobody could fault you for using C/C++ either. Pascal? That's not used nearly as much these days, so I'd vote not to choose Pascal, unless you're already familiar with it or have a particular field in mind where Pascal is preferred.

DaveE

Yeah, I programmed in C++ before in the Dutch Informatics Olympiad. However, I got beat by scripting languages (Python etc) and I wonder which of the two (Java or C++) is faster in developing time. If Java is not significantly faster in developing time I'm going to stick with C++.

I haven't programmed enough with Java and C++ recently to know which one would go more quickly, other than to say that if you're more familiar with one language, you'll be faster at it.

Of course, nothing compares in terms of development speed to scripting languages. They're very powerful, often don't make you constantly switch data types, and don't need to be compiled. But since it would seem that you don't have any scripting language options, it's probably not much of a difference between the languages you have at your disposal.

DaveE

scripting languages will win fast points because you spend less time writing/re-writing how to do simple things like open and parse an input file.. (sure it's easy in C++, but how *fast* can you do it ? With untyped scripting languages, even faster..)

Yeah I definitely lost a lot of time during the Informatics Olympiad getting the input in the right format: Using getline to read every line and put it all lines into one string, then getting specific spieces of the string converted to a float using the atof() function.
It was the first time I participated and it was especially a disappointment because at first I wanted to program in Python (which I already had learned), but I went out and learned C++ for the competition (which turned out to be a mistake).

Does anybody know any good books for C++ or algorithm programming?

Related to What are the best resources for preparing for the BAPC competition?

What is the purpose of participating in the BAPC?

Participating in the BAPC, or the Benelux Algorithm Programming Contest, allows individuals or teams to test their programming skills against others in the Benelux region. It is also a great opportunity to network with other programmers and potentially gain recognition for your skills.

Who can participate in the BAPC?

The BAPC is open to anyone who is interested in programming and is currently enrolled in an academic institution in the Benelux region. This includes universities, colleges, and high schools. Both individuals and teams are welcome to participate.

What are the rules and regulations of the BAPC?

The rules and regulations of the BAPC may vary slightly each year, but generally, participants are given a set of programming problems to solve within a certain time limit. Points are awarded for correct solutions, and the team with the most points at the end is declared the winner. Participants are usually required to bring their own laptops and are not allowed to use any external resources during the competition.

What are the benefits of participating in the BAPC?

Participating in the BAPC can provide numerous benefits, such as improving your programming skills, gaining experience in problem-solving and time management, networking with other programmers, and potentially winning prizes and recognition for your skills. It can also be a fun and challenging experience.

How can I register for the BAPC?

To register for the BAPC, you can visit their official website and follow the registration instructions. Typically, registration opens a few months before the competition and closes a few weeks before. It is important to register early as spots may be limited. There may also be a registration fee, which varies each year.