What are the best resources for understanding MO and LCAO in quantum chemistry?

In summary, The conversation discusses the desire to understand MO and LCAO and asks for recommendations on books about bonding. Some suggested books include those by Eyring, Walter, Kimball, Szabo, Ostlund, Magnasco, and Szabo, all with different focuses on the subject. The conversation also delves into the concept of LCAO and its interpretation as non-orthogonal local basis functions in molecular orbital calculations. The purpose of the conversation is to gain a deeper understanding of MO and LCAO and to find resources that can aid in this understanding.
sineontheline
I posted this elsewhere but I wasn't sure if physics people were lurking on the chem forum.

I want to understand MO and LCAO. The chapters in Levine weren't enough. Are there other books on bonding that people know of?

Physics news on Phys.org
A classic is the book by Eyring, Walter and Kimball. A book with emphasis on the numerical implementation is Szabo and Ostlund (Dover Publications). However, I think that Levine is very clear on that subject so that you should get all the basics from it. What exactly didn't you understand?

oh it wasn't that i didn't understand. its that he doesn't go into enough detail calculating the hydrogen ion. I looked up the orginal paper where it was derived. and when he starts talking about higher order bonds. i mean, i read it a while ago too. this is just what i just remember. but still aside from levine and mccuarie, i don't know of any other books that i can look at.

like you know how griffiths QM walks through calculations when he's deriving stuff. I want something like that.

sineontheline said:
I posted this elsewhere but I wasn't sure if physics people were lurking on the chem forum.

I want to understand MO and LCAO. The chapters in Levine weren't enough. Are there other books on bonding that people know of?

The LCAO approach is a MO-theory approach to solving the SE atomic/molecular systems. The best books for learning MO-theory are Elementary Methods Of Molecular Quantum Mechanics (Magnasco) and Modern Quantum Chemistry Intro to Advanced Electronic Structure Theory (Szabo). What exactly don't you understand about the H2+ model?

modey3

The best overview over current techniques in quantum chemistry is "Molecular Electronic-Structure Theory" by Helgaker, Jörgensen and Olsen.

About "LCAO": The term "LCAO" should not be understood too literally. "Atomic orbitals" in the modern terminology are simply any kind of local basis functions placed on atoms. Some of the functions in a basis set are actually built to resemble atomic orbitals (i.e., solutions of the Hartree-Fock equations for atoms), but most are not.

A "molecular orbital" is then a one-particle function satisfying some kind of mean-field one-particle Schrödinger equation (usually the Hartree-Fock equation, or the Kohn-Sham equation). Molecular orbitals are typically expanded as linear combination of non-orthogonal local basis functions like this:
[tex] \phi_r(\vec x) = \sum_{\mu} C^\mu_r \phi_\mu(\vec x), [/tex]
where [tex]r[/tex] indexes the molecular orbitals (occupied or virtual) and [tex]\mu[/tex] the basis functions (which are often called ``atomic orbitals''), and [tex]C^\mu_r[/tex] is the orbital coefficient matrix.
This matrix is what is actually determined in a calculation of orbitals (like Hartree-Fock or Kohn-Sham).

If doing wave function methods, these orbitals are then used as input for a so called ``correlation calculation'' (e.g., some coupled cluster method), in which accurate wave functions are determined based on the Hartree-Fock wave function as a initial approximation to the electronic structure of the system.
The orbitals themselves usually do not have any strict physical interpretation. The most one can hope to get from them are (unimpressive) ionization energies via Koopman's theorem.

Related to What are the best resources for understanding MO and LCAO in quantum chemistry?

1. What is quantum chemistry and how does it relate to bonding?

Quantum chemistry is the study of the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It helps us understand the fundamental principles of bonding between atoms, such as the sharing or transfer of electrons.

2. What is the difference between covalent and ionic bonding in terms of quantum chemistry?

Covalent bonding involves the sharing of electrons between atoms, while ionic bonding involves the transfer of electrons from one atom to another. In quantum chemistry, these types of bonding are explained through the concept of electron orbitals and the energy levels of the involved atoms.

3. How does quantum chemistry explain the strength of a bond?

The strength of a bond is determined by the overlap of electron orbitals between atoms. In quantum chemistry, the more overlap between orbitals, the stronger the bond will be. This is because the shared electrons are held more tightly between the atoms, creating a stronger attraction.

4. Can quantum chemistry predict the geometry of a molecule?

Yes, quantum chemistry can predict the geometry of a molecule by analyzing the arrangement of electron orbitals and the repulsion of electron pairs. This information can then be used to determine the bond angles and molecular shape.

5. How does the concept of quantum tunneling affect chemical bonding?

Quantum tunneling is the phenomenon where particles can pass through energy barriers that they would not be able to overcome according to classical physics. In terms of bonding, this means that electrons have a small probability of "tunneling" through energy barriers, allowing for the formation of bonds that would not be possible without this quantum effect.

Back