What are the boundaries for a double integral over a specific region?

In summary, The integral of y^2 sqrt x over the set D, where D is defined as x>0, x^2 < y < 10-x^2, can be split into two parts. The first part has bounds of x from 0 to x^2 and y from x^2 to 10-x^2, while the second part has bounds of x from x^2 to sqrt 5 and y from 0 to 10-x^2. The points of intersection for the parabolas that make up D are (sqrt 5, 5) and (-sqrt 5, 5), but since x > 0, only the point (sqrt 5, 5) needs
Kuma

Homework Statement

D = {x>0, x^2 < y < 10-x^2)

compute

integral (integral D of y^2 sqrt x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble figuring out the bounds of the integral. y goes from x^2 to 10-x^2 but I think I have to split this integral up into two parts. I am not sure how to bound x. The parabolas intersect at the point sqrt 5

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean probably at sqrt(5)? They intersect at two points

They intersect at (sqrt 5, 5) and (-sqrt 5, 5). x > 0 so we don't need the negative point.

Yes you got, it

So x goes from 0 to sqrt 5? that's the bound for x?

Kuma said:

What do you think it should be? Let's put it this way, if it isn't x = 0, where would you start from? You mentioned splitting the integral, how do you plan to do that?

I guess I'm overthinking. It looks like x goes from 0 to x^2 and then stops when x reaches sqrt 5, then goes from 10-x^2 back to 0. This is just from the drawing I mean.

Kuma said:
Yes, provided that you integrate over y first -- which, as you said, goes from x^2 to 10-x^2.

Related to What are the boundaries for a double integral over a specific region?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that is used to find the volume under a two-dimensional surface. It is essentially the sum of infinitely many small rectangles that make up the surface.

2. What are the boundaries of a double integral?

The boundaries of a double integral refer to the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. These boundaries define the region over which the double integral is being evaluated.

3. How do you determine the boundaries of a double integral?

The boundaries of a double integral are determined by the geometry of the region being integrated over. They can be found by graphing the region and identifying the points of intersection and any points of symmetry.

4. Can the boundaries of a double integral be expressed in different forms?

Yes, the boundaries of a double integral can be expressed in rectangular, polar, or parametric form. The choice of form depends on the geometry of the region and may make the integration easier.

5. What happens if the boundaries of a double integral are not specified?

If the boundaries of a double integral are not specified, the integral is considered indefinite and cannot be evaluated. The boundaries are necessary to define the region and limit the integration to a specific area.