What are the cardinality problems in set theory and how can they be solved?

In summary, we can use the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem to prove that |NN x NN| = |NN| and |(NN)N| = |NN|. The key is to construct an injection between the two sets using the given injections and the identity function. This technique can be applied to many other set theory problems.
jav
I have been studying set theory, and come across a few problems that I have not been able to solve. I am trying to prove the bijections exist.

Let N = Set of all natural numbers
Let BA = Set of all functions from A to B

1) Prove |NN x NN| = |NN|

2) Prove |(NN)N| = |NN|

Any explanation into the inspiration behind solutions would be greatly appreciated.

It is simple to consider the identity function going the obvious direction, so I really only need to prove injection (ie. |A| < |B| for the sets in the order stated).

Thanks
Edit: Solved

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) We can use the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem to prove this. Assume we have two injections, f: NN x NN → NN and g: NN → NN x NN. We can construct an injection h: NN x NN → NN x NN by defining h(x,y) = (f(x,y),g(x)). This shows that |NN x NN| ≤ |NN|, and since the reverse is clearly true, |NN x NN| = |NN|.2)(NN)N is the set of all functions from N to NN. We can use a similar technique as above. Assume we have two injections, f : (NN)N → NN and g : NN → (NN)N. We can construct an injection h : (NN)N → (NN)N by defining h(f) = (f,g(f)). This shows that |(NN)N| ≤ |NN|, and since the reverse is clearly true, |(NN)N| = |NN|.

Related to What are the cardinality problems in set theory and how can they be solved?

1. What is the cardinality problem?

The cardinality problem is a mathematical concept that deals with the size or number of elements in a set. It is often used in set theory and discrete mathematics.

2. Why is the cardinality problem important?

The cardinality problem is important because it helps us understand the concept of infinity and how to compare the sizes of infinite sets. It also has practical applications in computer science and data analysis.

3. How is the cardinality problem different from the countability problem?

The cardinality problem and the countability problem are closely related, but they are not the same. The cardinality problem deals with the size of a set, while the countability problem deals with the ability to assign a unique number to each element in a set.

4. What are some examples of sets with different cardinalities?

Some examples of sets with different cardinalities include the set of natural numbers (countably infinite), the set of real numbers (uncountably infinite), and the set of all possible subsets of a given set (infinite but larger than the set itself).

5. How do you prove the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set can be proven by showing a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of that set and the elements of another known set with a known cardinality. This is often done using a mapping or bijection between the two sets.

Back