What are the critical numbers for these calculus problems?

• Thread starter RedBarchetta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: What is the question?_______________________________________________________________________7. Find the number c that satisfies the conclusion of Rolle's Theorem. f(x) = x^3- x^2-2x+6 [0, 2] I got 1.21 but it says its wrong. Argh. No, 1.21 is not the correct answer. Rolle's theorem says that if a function is continuous on [a, b] and differentiable on (a, b) and if f(a)= f(b) then there exist a number c in (a, b) such that f'(c)= 0. In this case, a= 0, b= 2,
RedBarchetta
Once again, thanks to the physics forum, my previously answered questions helped me get an A on my homework. Thanks! Once again, any help or direction is appreciated. :cool:

1. Find the critical numbers of the function. (Enter your answers as fractions.) (3 answers)
F(x) = (x^(4/5))*(x - 8)^2
So I tried to take the derivative but came out with a sloppy mess.
First I expanded the last term.
F'(x)=(x^4/5)*(x^2-16x+64)
Applied the product rule.
F'(x)=(4/5)x^(9/5))-(64/5)x^(4/5)+2x^(9/5)-16x^(4/5)
Simplified.
F'(x)=(256/5)x^(-1/5)+(14/5)x^(9/5)-(16/5)x^(4/5)
That's where I get stuck.

Use the graph of f to estimate the values of c to the nearest 0.1 that satisfy the conclusion of the Mean Value Theorem for the interval [1,7]. (4 answers "c=___")
4-2-8.gif

I'm lost on this one.

With this one I started by taking the derivative of the function and ended up with 4x/16.
I set this equal to zero and had x=0. I tried this but it was wrong.

No clue on the theory on this one.
5. Suppose the derivative of a function f is given below. On what interval is f increasing? (Enter the interval that contains smaller numbers first. If you need to use - or , enter -INFINITY or INFINITY.)
f '(x) = (x + 1)^2(x - 5)^3(x - 6)^4

I typed it into the calculator, I saw the it was going to infinity, I need to take the derivative to find the critical point?

How do you take the derivative of that? Also, how do you work with pie? It's so painstakingly time-taking for me. I've had to convert everything. This is how far I got:
f'(x)=7(sin(x)+cos(x))
f'(x)=7(cos(x)-sin(x))
f'(x)=0 when 7(cos(x)-sin(x))=0

(cos(x)-sin(x))=0
cos(x)=sin(x)

then...?

(b) Find the local minimum and maximum values of f.
I'm typing in 1.41 and -1.41 but it says its wrong. Also, when your loo
f'(x)=-2sin(2x)
f'(x)=0 when f'(x)=-2sin(2x)=0
-2sin(2x)=0
sin(2x)=0
Then...?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RedBarchetta said:
Once again, thanks to the physics forum, my previously answered questions helped me get an A on my homework. Thanks! Once again, any help or direction is appreciated. :cool:

1. Find the critical numbers of the function. (Enter your answers as fractions.) (3 answers)
F(x) = (x^(4/5))*(x - 8)^2
So I tried to take the derivative but came out with a sloppy mess.
First I expanded the last term.
F'(x)=(x^4/5)*(x^2-16x+64)
Applied the product rule.
F'(x)=(4/5)x^(9/5))-(64/5)x^(4/5)+2x^(9/5)-16x^(4/5)
Simplified.
F'(x)=(256/5)x^(-1/5)+(14/5)x^(9/5)-(16/5)x^(4/5)
That's where I get stuck.
It's hard to tell where you went wrong since your parentheses don't match up. It is simpler to go ahead and multiply the x4/5 into the quadratic first rather than use the product rule: F(x)= x14/5- 16x9/5+ 64 so that F'(x)= (14/5)x9/5- (144/5)x4/5+ (256/5)x-1/5. That's almost what you have- perhaps that "14/5" is a typo for "144/5"?
Now you are looking for critical points- points where the derivative either does not exist or is 0. For what x does that erivative not exist? For what x is it 0?

Use the graph of f to estimate the values of c to the nearest 0.1 that satisfy the conclusion of the Mean Value Theorem for the interval [1,7]. (4 answers "c=___")
4-2-8.gif

I'm lost on this one.
Do you know what the conclusion of the mean value theorem is? That would be a good place to start! What are f(1) and f(7)? What is (f(7)- f(1))/(7- 1)? Why am I asking those questions?

With this one I started by taking the derivative of the function and ended up with 4x/16.
I set this equal to zero and had x=0. I tried this but it was wrong.
Why did you set it equal to 0? Again, what does the mean value theorem say?
(The derivative of x/(x+4) certainly is not 4x/16.)

No clue on the theory on this one.
The "theory" is that the derivative is the slope of the tangent line and so tells you how fast a function increases. Suppose the derivative were exactly 2 for all x- that is, that it is the straight line with slope 2 passing through (4, 15). What would y be when x= 8?
Do you see that any curve with slope greater than 2 would be above that line?

5. Suppose the derivative of a function f is given below. On what interval is f increasing? (Enter the interval that contains smaller numbers first. If you need to use - or , enter -INFINITY or INFINITY.)
f '(x) = (x + 1)^2(x - 5)^3(x - 6)^4

I typed it into the calculator, I saw the it was going to infinity, I need to take the derivative to find the critical point?
?? You are given the derivative! What is true about the derivative of an increasing function? For what values of x is that true? (For God's sake don't multiply this- you want it factored!)

How do you take the derivative of that? Also, how do you work with pie? It's so painstakingly time-taking for me. I've had to convert everything. This is how far I got:
f'(x)=7(sin(x)+cos(x))
f'(x)=7(cos(x)-sin(x))
f'(x)=0 when 7(cos(x)-sin(x))=0

(cos(x)-sin(x))=0
cos(x)=sin(x)

then...?
First read the problem carefully. I see no "question" in what you give here. You say "Consider the equation" and then "Give you answer ..." without any question. What were asked to do? Find the critical points? If so, then your working is correct. You just need to solve the equation cos(x)= sin(x). Do you know any x for which sine and cosine are equal? (There are 2 of them between 0 and 2pi.) As for working with "pie", you slice it and eat it. For "pi" or "[itex]\pi[/itex]" that's just a number. You work with it just as you do with 1 or 2. And, of course, you know sine and cosine of [itex]\pi[/itex]!

(b) Find the local minimum and maximum values of f.
I'm typing in 1.41 and -1.41 but it says its wrong. Also, when your loo
(b)? Was there no (a)? Was (a) to find the critical points of f above? Where did you get "1.41"? I thought you said you weren't able to solve sin(x)= cos(x)! Did you forget the "7" multiplying sin(x)+ cos(x)?

No, 1.21 is not at all correct. Unfortunately, you don't say how you got that answer so I can't say what you did wrong. What is the conclusion of Rolle's theorem?

f'(x)=-2sin(2x)
f'(x)=0 when f'(x)=-2sin(2x)=0
-2sin(2x)=0
sin(2x)=0
Then...?

Thanks!

For what values of 2x is sine equal to 0 (if x is between pi/8 and 7pi/8, then ex is between pi/4 and 7pi/4)? Surely you know something about trigonometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've figured out every problem now minus one. Thanks for the help Ivy!

Find the critical numbers of the function on the interval.
Find:
theta=_____(Smaller value)
theta=_____(larger value)
0<or=to(theta)is<2pi

f(theta)=2cos(theta)+sin(x)^2

I started by taking the derivative of the function.
f'(theta)=7cos(theta)-7sin(theta)
f'(theta)=0 when 7cos(theta)-7sin(theta)=0

7cos(theta)-7sin(theta)=0
7cos(theta)=7sin(theta)
cos(theta)=sin(theta)

Using the unit circle I found that, theta=pi/4 and 5pi/4.

The homework checker said this was wrong. What am I missing here?

Related to What are the critical numbers for these calculus problems?

What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals?

Indefinite integrals are the antiderivative of a function and can have a constant of integration. They represent a family of functions. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and represent the area under a curve between those limits.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

How do you find the derivative of a logarithmic function?

The derivative of a logarithmic function can be found using the chain rule. Take the derivative of the inside function and multiply it by the derivative of the outside function, which is 1/x.

What is the purpose of using integration by parts?

Integration by parts is used to integrate products of functions that cannot be solved by other methods such as substitution or trigonometric identities. It involves choosing one part of the function as the "u" term and the other part as the "dv" term.

What is the difference between a local maximum and a global maximum?

A local maximum is the highest point in a small region of a graph, while a global maximum is the highest point on the entire graph. A global maximum is also a local maximum, but a local maximum is not necessarily a global maximum.