What are the differences between cylindrical and cartesian coordinates?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the representation of unit vectors in cylindrical and spherical coordinate systems using cartesian coordinates. The first question asks for a physical example to understand how the unit vectors are expressed, while the second question raises confusion about changing basis and the non-linear behavior of angles in these coordinate systems. A list of common coordinate systems is provided for reference.
aaaa202
Consider the attached picture, where they express the unit vectors in cartesian coordinates with the unit vectors in a cylindrical coordinate system:
The questions might be a bit loose, but try to get what I mean and answer as well as you can please :)

1) I find the expression for i, j and k a bit ambigious. Because won't the unit vectors of the spherical coordinate system always be expressed through the cartesian unit vectors like the first lines imply? Can you give me a physical example to help me understand what happens here.

2) To me it is really weird that you say you change basis when seemingly there is some generalized cartesian coordinate frame behind all of it - by this I mean the fact that the unit vectors of the spherical and cylindrical coordinates are themselves expressed in cartesian frames. It's not like they are defined as (ρ,0,0), (0,z,0) and (0,0,[itex]\varphi[/itex]) - Is the reason why you do this that the angle doesn't behave linearly?

Attachments

• Unavngivet.png
    Unavngivet.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 525
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to What are the differences between cylindrical and cartesian coordinates?

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a coordinate system used in mathematics and physics to describe points in three-dimensional space. They use three parameters: a radial distance from the origin, an angle from a reference direction in the xy-plane, and a height or z-coordinate.

2. How are cylindrical coordinates related to cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are related to cartesian coordinates through the following equations:
x = r cos(theta)
y = r sin(theta)
z = z

3. What is the advantage of using cylindrical coordinates over cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are useful for describing points in cylindrical or circular shapes, making them ideal for problems involving rotation or symmetry around a central axis. They also simplify equations in certain situations, such as in the study of electromagnetism.

4. Can cylindrical coordinates be converted to spherical coordinates?

Yes, cylindrical coordinates can be converted to spherical coordinates using the following equations:
x = r sin(phi) cos(theta)
y = r sin(phi) sin(theta)
z = r cos(phi)

5. How are cylindrical coordinates used in real-world applications?

Cylindrical coordinates are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve problems involving cylindrical or circular symmetry. They are also used in computer graphics to represent three-dimensional objects and in navigation systems for determining the position of objects in space.