What are the displacement vectors and directions of a hiker's route?

• Thread starter roshanak_fe
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving three displacement vectors and the hiker's use of a compass to determine their directions. The hiker ends up back at the starting point, resulting in a resultant displacement of zero. To solve the problem, the vectors A, B, and C must be broken down into x and y components and a picture can be helpful for better understanding.
roshanak_fe
Someone please help me with this problem!

I can't solve problem this problem. I know it's probably very easy to solve, but I don't know why I'm stuck. Please help me break it down...thank you.

The route followed by a hiker consists of three displacement vectors A, B and C. Vector A is along a measured trail and is 3100 m in a direction 20.9° north of east. Vector B is not along a measured trail, but the hiker uses a compass and knows that the direction is 43.5° east of south. Similarly, the direction of vector C is 34.9° north of west. The hiker ends up back where she started, so the resultant displacement is zero, or A + B + C = 0. Calculate the magnitude of vector B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Break all 3 vectors into x and y components. You could do this because you have the magnitude and direction of the vectors A and C.

Actually, I don't see a magnitude for vector C, but I also don't think it should be necessary. At least I hope not.

So I would also agree that each vector should be viewed in x and y (or North/South and East/West) coordinates. Since we end up where we started, all northward movement must be countered by an indentical amount of southward displacement (and similarly for east and west).

And don't forget, since you have the angles for each vector, you can easily relate their north/south magnitudes with their east/west ones. Also don't forget to draw a picture of this situation, as it really will make the problem just a bit clearer.

FAQ: What are the displacement vectors and directions of a hiker's route?

1. What type of problem are you facing?

This question is often asked to get a better understanding of the specific issue that needs to be addressed. It helps to provide context and allows the scientist to determine the appropriate approach to solving the problem.

2. What have you already tried to solve the problem?

This question is important because it helps the scientist to avoid suggesting solutions that have already been attempted. It also gives insight into the individual's problem-solving abilities and can provide a starting point for further troubleshooting.

3. Are there any specific details or constraints that need to be considered?

Providing specific details and constraints can greatly assist the scientist in finding a solution. This could include things like time limitations, available resources, or any other relevant information that may impact the problem.

4. What is the expected outcome or goal?

Having a clear understanding of the desired outcome or goal helps the scientist to tailor their approach and find the most effective solution. It also allows for better communication and ensures that both parties are on the same page.

5. Can you provide any data or evidence related to the problem?

Data and evidence are crucial for scientists to analyze and understand a problem. It is helpful to have any relevant data or evidence readily available to provide a more accurate and efficient solution.

Back