What Are the Dynamics of Two Objects in Motion with No Friction?

In summary: Using the coordinate and the forces from 1), I figured out that X direction of the acceleration equals mAcosθ+mgcosθ. The angle between X and x is θ, so x direction would be -(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)cosθ, and y direction would be -(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)sinθLooks good to me.
bubblewrap

Homework Statement

Object B with mass m is sliding on an object A with mass M. Object A is being pulled by a string with acceleration A. There is no friction. (Picture Uploaded)

1) Find the maximum value of A that allows m to stay on M (sliding)
2) Find the x and y value of the acceleration of object B
3) In this case, what is the value of the force T (the force that is pulling Object A)
4) Find the value of the normal force F that is acting on object A.
5) As an alternate version of this question, suppose that force T was given instead of acceleration A.

Homework Equations

Newton's Law; F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

1) In the case of object B, there are three forces; the normal force N, mg and inertia mA
setting a new coordinate with X and Y where Y is perpendicular to the hypotenuse and X perpendicular to Y, I showed that acceleration in Y direction must equal 0 and the A in this case is the A for 1). The answer I got was (mgcosθ-N)/msinθ

2) Using the coordinate and the forces from 1), I figured out that X direction of the acceleration equals mAcosθ+mgcosθ. The angle between X and x is θ, so x direction would be -(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)cosθ, and y direction would be -(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)sinθ

3) Because there is only one force given from the outside, which is T, T=∑ma for a in the x direction.
T=-(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)cosθ+MA

4) Normal force equals the force acting on the surface which is object B's force in the y direction
F=(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)sinθ
5) This would be a simple change, just writing the answer from 3) like A= f(T)

Overall I have tried to solve all these and came up with answers. But I'm not sure if they are correct.
If someone could check them I would be grateful.

Attachments

• Qs1.png
    Qs1.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
bubblewrap said:
1) Find the maximum value of A that allows m to stay on M (sliding)

bubblewrap said:
1) In the case of object B, there are three forces; the normal force N, mg and inertia mA
setting a new coordinate with X and Y where Y is perpendicular to the hypotenuse and X perpendicular to Y, I showed that acceleration in Y direction must equal 0 and the A in this case is the A for 1). The answer I got was (mgcosθ-N)/msinθ

You can simplify that further.

Hint: If object B is "only just" in contact with A (eg it's just about to leave the surface) what is the value of N ?

bubblewrap said:
This is rather confusing because A is being used both as the label on an object and as an acceleration. I assume you mean an inertial force ma, where a is the acceleration of A.
Looks like you are using a noninertial frame here. It would help if you were to state that at the start.

Once simplified the answer just looks more obviously correct :-)

CWatters said:
Once simplified the answer just looks more obviously correct :-)
Then N=0 so A=g/tanθ?

Likes CWatters
bubblewrap said:
Then N=0 so A=g/tanθ?
Looks right to me.

and me.

How about the rest? Are they correct as well?

Related to What Are the Dynamics of Two Objects in Motion with No Friction?

1. What is a sliding object?

A sliding object is any object that moves along a surface without rolling or spinning. This can include objects such as a book sliding across a table or a sled sliding down a snowy hill.

2. How does friction affect sliding objects?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can significantly affect the movement of sliding objects. The type and amount of friction present will determine how fast or slow a sliding object moves, and how far it will travel.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a sliding object?

The speed of a sliding object can be affected by several factors, including the type of surface it is sliding on, the angle of the surface, the weight and shape of the object, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or gravity.

4. How is the force of gravity related to sliding objects?

The force of gravity plays a significant role in the movement of sliding objects. Objects will slide downwards due to the force of gravity pulling them towards the center of the Earth. The steeper the incline or slope of the surface, the greater the force of gravity acting on the object, resulting in a faster sliding speed.

5. What are some real-life examples of sliding objects?

Sliding objects can be observed in various everyday scenarios, such as a person sliding down a playground slide, a car sliding on a wet road, a sliding door, or a sliding drawer. Other examples include an ice skater sliding on ice, a hockey puck sliding on a rink, and a rolling ball eventually coming to a stop due to friction with the ground.