What Are the Electric Field and Potential in a Non-Conducting Hollow Sphere?

In summary: For a conducting sphere, you only have one type of charge, the charge on the surface. You don't have a point charge at the center.
NYK

Homework Statement

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10155063_1485929725016579_7557468199677155885_n.jpg?oh=d575aa48176de7ecda27201b7ce35a5b&oe=54F7F368&__gda__=1425195231_44abd00cc231109df2fbe8d44cef9869

Homework Equations

∫E⋅da⋅n = 4πkQenc
ΔV(voltage) = -∫Edr

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I am having trouble starting the problem and defining the Qenc for the three areas of the sphere.

I do believe that for r < R ⇒ E(r) = 2QK/r2

and for r > R ⇒ E(r) = KQ/r2

I know that the answer is listed for R<r<2R but i can't seem to come up with that answer.

I think I am just having problems with defining the Qenc

for R<r<2R does Qenc = 2Qpt charge - Qinduced = Q sound right?

Physics news on Phys.org
NYK said:

Homework Statement

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10155063_1485929725016579_7557468199677155885_n.jpg?oh=d575aa48176de7ecda27201b7ce35a5b&oe=54F7F368&__gda__=1425195231_44abd00cc231109df2fbe8d44cef9869

Homework Equations

∫E⋅da⋅n = 4πkQenc
ΔV(voltage) = -∫Edr

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I am having trouble starting the problem and defining the Qenc for the three areas of the sphere.

I do believe that for r < R ⇒ E(r) = 2QK/r2

and for r > R ⇒ E(r) = KQ/r2
That's right.

I know that the answer is listed for R<r<2R but i can't seem to come up with that answer.

I think I'm just having problems with defining the Qenc

for R<r<2R. Does Qenc = 2Qpt charge - Qinduced = Q sound right?
No. The ball is non-conducting, so there won't be any induced charges. You have a charge -Q spread out uniformly within the ball. When R < r < 2R, you have to figure out what fraction of the ball is enclosed inside of the sphere of radius r. It's a geometry problem.

vela said:
That's right.No. The ball is non-conducting, so there won't be any induced charges. You have a charge -Q spread out uniformly within the ball. When R < r < 2R, you have to figure out what fraction of the ball is enclosed inside of the sphere of radius r. It's a geometry problem.

I understand that, so if it was a conducting sphere the charge would be Qenc = Qpt charge +λ(π(r2-R2))?

No. How did you come up with that expression?

I would approach this problem by first defining the properties of a non-conducting hollow ball. This means that the material of the ball does not allow for the flow of electric current, and therefore, any charge placed on it will remain in place.

Next, I would consider the electric field inside and outside the ball. Since the ball is hollow, there is no charge within the cavity and therefore, by Gauss's Law, the electric field inside the ball is zero. Outside the ball, the electric field can be calculated using the given equations for r < R and r > R.

To determine the potential difference within the ball, I would integrate the electric field from the surface of the ball (r=R) to the center of the ball (r=0). This will give the potential difference between the two points.

As for defining the Qenc, it would depend on the situation. If there is a point charge (Q) placed at the center of the ball, then Qenc would be equal to Q. If there is no point charge, then Qenc would be zero.

For the given problem, it seems that the answer is for a point charge placed at the center of the ball. In this case, Qenc would indeed be equal to 2Qpt charge - Qinduced. However, if the charge was not placed at the center, the answer would be different.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the given conditions and use appropriate equations to solve the problem.

Related to What Are the Electric Field and Potential in a Non-Conducting Hollow Sphere?

1. What is a non-conducting hollow ball?

A non-conducting hollow ball is a spherical object made of a material that does not allow the flow of electricity or heat through it. This means that it does not conduct electricity or heat and is often referred to as an insulator.

2. What are some common materials used to make non-conducting hollow balls?

Some common materials used to make non-conducting hollow balls include plastic, rubber, glass, and ceramic. These materials have high resistance to the flow of electricity and heat, making them ideal for insulating applications.

3. What are the applications of non-conducting hollow balls?

Non-conducting hollow balls have a variety of applications, such as insulating materials in electrical and electronic devices, thermal insulation in buildings and homes, and protective coatings for wires and cables.

4. How are non-conducting hollow balls tested for their insulating properties?

Non-conducting hollow balls are usually tested for their insulating properties by measuring their resistance to the flow of electricity or heat. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a multimeter or a thermal conductivity tester.

5. Can non-conducting hollow balls be used in extreme environments?

Yes, non-conducting hollow balls can be used in extreme environments as they have high resistance to temperature and can withstand harsh conditions. They are often used in aerospace and military applications where extreme temperatures and conditions are common.