What Are the Energy Levels and Degeneracies in a 3D Infinite-Potential Well?

• Thread starter freefallin38
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary, for the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth levels of a three-dimensional cubical box, the energies can be found using the equation E=E0*(n1^2+n2^2+n3^2), where n1, n2, and n3 are the energy levels. The value of E0 is given by π^2*hbar^2/(2mL^2), where m is the particle mass and L is the box's sidelength. The third level is degenerate because there are multiple possible wave functions, and the fourth and sixth levels are also degenerate based on the permutation of energy levels.
freefallin38
For the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth levels of the three-dimensional cubical box, find the energies in terms of the quantity E0= π^2*hbar^2/(2mL^2), where m is the particle mass and L is the box's sidelength.
_____E0 (third level)
_____E0 (fourth level)
_____E0 (fifth level)
_____E0 (sixth level)
Which, if any, are degenerate?So the equation that I am using is E=E0*(n1^2+n2^2+n3^2), where n1, n2, n3 are energy levels. For third level, I used n1=1, n2=n3=2, so I got 9*E0. I thought that for 4th level I would just raise one level, making n1=n2=n3=2, and get 12*E0, but this doesn't work. Can anyone give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong? Also, the third level will be degenerate, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget about n1=3, n2=n3=1, and its permutations.

Do you understand why the 3rd level is degenerate? That will be necessary to determine which of the 4th, 5th and 6th levels might be degenerate also.

Last edited:
right, thank you! the third level is degenerate because you can have different wave functions, because you could also have n1=n3=2, and n2=1, and so on, right? Then the fourth and sixth levels would also be degenerate.

Related to What Are the Energy Levels and Degeneracies in a 3D Infinite-Potential Well?

1. What is a 3D infinite-potential well?

A 3D infinite-potential well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a three-dimensional space with infinitely high potential walls. It is often used as a simplified representation of a particle in a solid crystal lattice.

2. How does a particle behave in a 3D infinite-potential well?

In a 3D infinite-potential well, the particle can only exist within the boundaries of the well and has a discrete set of allowed energy levels. The particle behaves like a standing wave, with the lowest energy level corresponding to the ground state and higher energy levels corresponding to excited states.

3. What are the applications of a 3D infinite-potential well?

The 3D infinite-potential well is a useful model for understanding the behavior of particles in solids and can be applied to the study of electronic properties in materials. It is also used in the development of quantum computing and in the analysis of quantum systems.

4. How is the 3D infinite-potential well different from the 1D and 2D versions?

The 3D infinite-potential well is different from the 1D and 2D versions in that it takes into account the confinement of a particle in three dimensions, rather than just one or two. This results in a more complex energy spectrum and wave function solutions.

5. What are the limitations of the 3D infinite-potential well model?

The 3D infinite-potential well model is a simplification of real-world systems and has limitations in accurately describing the behavior of particles in certain scenarios. For example, it does not take into account the effects of interactions between particles or the presence of external forces.