What are the equations for calculating loop currents in a circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the loop currents in a network using the equation V=IR. The person creates three equations and solves for the currents, but they are incorrect. The correct equations are provided, taking into account all currents flowing through each resistive component. The person expresses their gratitude for the help received.
theuniverse

Homework Statement

Find the Loop currents that are shown in the network of the figure below.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to create 3 equations since there are three unknown currents and then solve for them so here is what I got.
1) [tex] 10V-5I_1-2I_1=0 [/tex]
2) [tex] 10V-5I_3-3I_3-20V-4I_3+4I_2=0 [/tex]
3) [tex] 4I_2-4I_3+2I_2=0 [/tex]

When I solve for the currents I get
[tex] I_1=1.43A [/tex]
[tex]I_2=-0.71A [/tex]
[tex]I_3=-1.07A [/tex]

While the correct answers should be 3.55A, -1.98A, -2.98A. I suspect that my equations are incorrect but I can't come up with any equations that give me the right answer or make any sense.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
As you 'traverse' each resistive component in a given loop, you need to take into account all the currents flowing through that component. So, for example, the voltage drop across your 5Ω resistor is (I1 + I3)*5Ω.

Yea that was the concept I couldn't fully understand... I get it now.
In case anyone else is interested here are the equations that actually work:
1) [tex] 10V-5I_1-2I_1-5I_3=0 [/tex]
2) [tex] 10V -5I_1-5I_3-3I_3-20V-4I_3+4I_2=0 [/tex]
3) [tex] 4I_2-4I_3+2I_2=0 [/tex]

gneill You've been a great help as usual! Thanks!

Related to What are the equations for calculating loop currents in a circuit?

1. How do you calculate the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I = V/R.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electrical current. AC current changes direction periodically, whereas DC current only flows in one direction. AC current is typically used in household electricity, while DC current is used in batteries and electronic devices.

3. How does the number of components in a circuit affect the current?

In a series circuit, the current is the same at every point in the circuit, regardless of the number of components. However, in a parallel circuit, the total current is divided among the branches based on the resistance of each branch. Therefore, the more components in a parallel circuit, the higher the total current will be.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit?

Voltage and current are directly proportional in a circuit. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and vice versa. However, the resistance of the circuit can affect this relationship, as described by Ohm's Law.

5. How can you measure the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be measured using a device called an ammeter. This is connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of current through the circuit. It is important to note that an ammeter should have a very low resistance, as it can affect the current in the circuit if it is too high.