What are the factors that determine the different lifetimes of particle decays?

In summary, in particle physics, the lifetime of particles can vary depending on the type of decay. Strong interactions typically have a lifetime of 10^-23 seconds, while electromagnetic decays take about 10^-16 seconds. This is due to the minimum time for information to cross a nucleus and the chiral considerations. Weak decays, which are mediated by the W and Z bosons, have a larger mass and therefore a shorter lifetime of about 10^-25 seconds. These decays are also slower due to factors such as the electromagnetic coupling constant and the ratio of proton mass to W boson mass.
Scottbob
I'm revising for an exam on particle physics and understand the lot, however I'd like clarification on the calculation of lifetimes of particles.

I understand that particles decaying by the strong interaction last roughly 10^-23s because that is the minimum time that information can cross a nucleus of order a fermi (ie at light speed). Also I know that EM decays take about 10^-16 seconds (like in the pi-zero decay to 2 photons), but I'd like to know why? Also why does the weak decay take about 10^-10s? (give or take a few orders of magnitude!)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One could expect EM decays in general to be as faster as strong decays, shouln't one? but the ones you have mentioned are very special ones, they are impossible due to chiral considerations (which I do not remember) and they happen because of the chiral anomaly.

Although the weak nuclear force used to be described by Fermi's theory of a contact four-fermion interaction, today we know that it is mediated by the W and Z bosons. Because of their large mass of about 90 GeV/c2, their mean life is limited to about 3 * 10^{-25}seconds
Hope that is helpfull, and sorry about my english.

EM decays usually have a factor of \alpha^2_EM (=1/137) in calculating their rate. This makes them about 10^4-10^5 slower than strong decays.
Weak decays have another factor of (M_p/M_W)^2 [~(1/80)^2],
which makes them slowest of all.

Related to What are the factors that determine the different lifetimes of particle decays?

1. What is particle decay?

Particle decay is a natural phenomenon in which a particle spontaneously transforms into one or more different particles. This process occurs due to the unstable nature of certain particles, and is governed by the fundamental laws of quantum mechanics.

2. What is a particle decay lifetime?

The particle decay lifetime refers to the average amount of time it takes for a particular type of particle to decay. It is a measure of the stability of a particle and is typically expressed in units of seconds.

3. How is the particle decay lifetime determined?

The particle decay lifetime is determined through experimental measurements. Scientists use high-energy particle accelerators to create and study unstable particles, and they measure the time it takes for these particles to decay into more stable forms. The decay lifetime is then calculated by analyzing a large number of decay events.

4. What factors affect the particle decay lifetime?

The particle decay lifetime can be influenced by various factors, including the mass of the particle, the strength of the forces that hold it together, and the amount of energy it possesses. These factors can affect the probability of a particle decaying at any given moment.

5. Why is understanding particle decay lifetimes important?

Studying particle decay lifetimes allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws that govern their behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics, cosmology, and particle physics research. Additionally, understanding particle decay can help us better understand the origins and evolution of the universe.