What are the factors to consider when designing a pressure vessel?

In summary, a pressure vessel designer needs to take into consideration the maximum safe operating pressure, the shape and dimensions of the vessel, the stresses that will be applied to the walls, the safety factor, the material to be used, and the cost of constructing the vessel.
munzz
Hi guys.. I am currently working on a research where I have totally no idea in. What are the factors i need to take into consideration if I were to design a pressure vessel?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would suggest these steps although you can apply this methodology in any order you need to, if for instance you wish to design a vessel of a particular material and size, and wish to known the maximum safe pressure.

1. What operating pressure do you want to be able to achieve?
2. What shape and dimensions is your vessel going to be? E.g. closed ended cylinder with wall thickness t.
3. How can you estimate the stresses that will be seen in the vessel walls? E.g. for a cylinder you can use Lame equations (or thin walled approximations if applicable) for radial and hoop stresses.
4. What safety factor do you want to apply to the design?
5. What material should you thus make it from (taking into account the maximum stress in the vessel walls, the safety factor, and a suitable yield stress for the material)?

That's pretty simplified, but that's approximately how an engineer would approach the problem. Obviously there are many other factors that you should consider, including corrosion of the vessel material (e.g. an iron container holding sea water...), the fatigue life of the vessel if the pressure or temperature varies considerably, variation of ductility with temperature...the list goes on!

Check the API (American Petroleum Institute) Standards. There is an entire chapter on the design of pressure vessels. Should be a step by step plug-n-chug process.

From personal experience. If you are designing a large vacuum coating plant to go in the basement - consider the distance between floor and ceiling and the gap between support columns in the corridor it has to go down.
Then factor in the cost of building a shed to put the thing in and how annoyed the users are going to be working on it in winter if the shed isn't heated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first things I would want to know are what size and what purpose.

Honestly, if you don't know what you're doing, I would get with someone that does know. Pressure vessels are scary beasts, especially if you are doing something that is going to be installed around people or in a plant where people work.

Stewart was right. ASME BPV code sect VIII is a HUGE tome that covers everything. There are books written on how to read and understand it. Designing a pressure vessel is not simply hoop stress and a factor of safety.

Dennis Moss put out a pretty good book "Pressure Vessel Design Manual." You need to track down a book like that to get a better glimpse as to what you are looking at. You will need to brush up on things like the strength of the heads or caps, weld strength, stresses around openings, relief valve/rupture disc sizing, etc...

thx alot! I think I have an idea on how to start it by now..

Related to What are the factors to consider when designing a pressure vessel?

1. What is the function of a pressure vessel?

A pressure vessel is a closed container used to hold fluids or gases at a different pressure than the surrounding environment. It is designed to safely contain and transfer the pressure of the fluids or gases to the surrounding environment, while maintaining its integrity and preventing any leaks.

2. What are the factors to consider when selecting materials for a pressure vessel?

The materials used for a pressure vessel must be able to withstand the pressure and temperature of the fluids or gases inside, as well as any potential corrosive or reactive properties. Factors such as strength, ductility, weldability, and resistance to corrosion and fatigue must be carefully considered when selecting materials for a pressure vessel.

3. How do you determine the appropriate size and shape of a pressure vessel?

The size and shape of a pressure vessel are determined by the volume and pressure of the fluids or gases it will contain, as well as any external factors such as space constraints and transportation requirements. The vessel must be designed to withstand the internal pressure without deforming or failing, while also being practical and cost-effective to manufacture and maintain.

4. What safety measures should be incorporated into the design of a pressure vessel?

The design of a pressure vessel must include safety measures such as pressure relief devices, temperature and pressure sensors, and fail-safe mechanisms to prevent overpressure and potential explosions. The vessel must also be designed to withstand potential hazards such as extreme temperatures, corrosion, and external forces.

5. How do you ensure the quality and reliability of a pressure vessel?

To ensure the quality and reliability of a pressure vessel, it must undergo rigorous testing and inspection throughout the design and manufacturing process. Non-destructive testing methods such as ultrasonic testing, radiography, and visual inspection are used to detect any flaws or defects in the vessel. It is also important to follow industry standards and regulations, and to have the vessel certified by a qualified inspector before use.