What Are the Job Prospects for a Physics Student with No Experience?

In summary, the speakers are both physics students at the University of Durham in the UK who are concerned about finding a job after graduation due to the current job market and their lack of experience. They have both been actively searching for summer jobs and considering options such as volunteering and internships. One speaker also mentions the possibility of going to grad school.
Hypochondriac
I'm a 20y.o. physics student at the university of durham UK.
I've never had a job, so I reckon by the time I graduate etc. it'll be hard for me to get started with a career because of my lack of experience.

The job market isn't exactly fruitful at the moment, people are being laid off everywhere and not many jobs about, so I've been finding it hard to find a summer job I tried getting a summer job with the DSTL this summer, but they rejected me, I even offered to volunteer at the royal observatory and they didn't even get back to me.

As there's not many people with my qualifications (i.e. like people just leaving school etc), I would've thought there may be some jobs available that I'm qualified for, (i'd rather not be stacking shelves etc, i'd like to think my education is worth something)

I'm just wondering what other jobs there are about (for the summer) that I could put my skills to? any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I just spent the last 2 hours applying to anything and everything physics related I could find on Monster.com. I cannot tell you how many leads and connections I've tried to take advantage of. I guess I have had some relevant work experience in the form of doing some research with a professor, but still nothing job related. Kinda wondering if grad school is the answer.

Also, maybe there could be some traction in applying for an internship? I know most programs are strictly for in-college students, but hey, why not?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience and concerns about your lack of work experience as a physics student. It is understandable that you may feel discouraged about your job prospects, especially in the current job market. However, I would like to assure you that there are many opportunities for you to gain relevant work experience and build your career in the field of physics.

Firstly, I would suggest looking into internships or research assistant positions at your university or other research institutions. This will not only provide you with hands-on experience in your field, but also allow you to network with professionals and potentially lead to job opportunities in the future.

Additionally, you can also consider volunteering at science-related organizations or events, such as science museums or science fairs. This will not only showcase your dedication and passion for the field, but also allow you to gain practical skills and knowledge.

Furthermore, there are also many online platforms and resources available for students to gain work experience, such as virtual internships or remote research projects. These options may be particularly relevant in the current situation, where physical work opportunities may be limited.

Lastly, I would encourage you to not limit yourself to only jobs directly related to your field of study. Many employers value transferable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication, which are all important skills for a scientist. Don't be afraid to explore different industries and roles that may allow you to utilize and develop these skills.

Overall, my advice would be to actively seek out opportunities and be open to different possibilities. Your education is valuable and there are many ways for you to put your skills to use. Best of luck in your job search and future career endeavors!

Related to What Are the Job Prospects for a Physics Student with No Experience?

1. What is considered relevant work experience?

Relevant work experience refers to any previous job or internship experience that directly relates to the job or field you are applying for. This can include experience in a similar industry, similar job duties, or specific skills that are necessary for the position.

2. Can volunteer work count as relevant work experience?

Yes, volunteer work can count as relevant work experience if it directly relates to the job or field you are applying for. Make sure to highlight any skills or responsibilities you gained from your volunteer experience that are applicable to the job.

3. How much work experience is considered enough?

The amount of work experience considered enough varies depending on the job and industry. However, most employers look for at least 1-2 years of relevant work experience. It is important to highlight the quality of your experience rather than just the quantity.

4. Can education be considered as relevant work experience?

In most cases, education is not considered as relevant work experience. However, if you have completed internships or had hands-on experience in your field of study, this can be included as relevant work experience.

5. How should I showcase my relevant work experience on my resume?

Your relevant work experience should be listed in chronological order, starting with your most recent position. Be sure to include the job title, company name, dates of employment, and key responsibilities and achievements in each position. It is also helpful to tailor your work experience to the specific job you are applying for.