What Are the Key Differences Between Baby Rudin 2nd and 3rd Edition?

• Thread starter QuantumP7
  • Start date
In summary, the main difference between the 2nd and 3rd edition of Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis is the inclusion of Dedekind's construction in an appendix to Chapter I in the 3rd edition. The 3rd edition also provides a more comprehensive background in topology for the development of convergence, continuity, differentiation and integration. Other changes include a new section on the gamma function and additional exercises. While the content is similar, the typesetting in the 3rd edition is more modern compared to the 1st edition and may be worth considering before purchasing.
QuantumP7
I was wondering if there are any big differences between the 2nd and 3rd edition of Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. Because used copies of the second edition can be had for much cheaper than the third.

Physics news on Phys.org
without even looking at them i advise buying the cheaper one. in my experience, later editions of books are almost ALWAYS worse, not better. The only exception I can think of is spivak's calculus on manifolds, where the second edition just corrects an error in the first. nothing else. so i would prefer the first edition if available.

the following discussion on amazon seems to summarize the changes, which appear minimal:(Dedekind's construction is now treated in an appendix to Chapter I.) The topological background needed for the development of convergence, continuity, differentiation and integration is provided in Chapter 2. There is a new section on the gamma function, and many new and interesting exercises are included.

Thank you SO much, Mathwonk!

I used to have a copy of the 1st edition and I recall that while the content wasn't very different from the 3rd edition, the typesetting was noticeably poorer, if you care about such things. E.g., it used [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] instead of [tex]\in[/tex] to indicate set membership, the summation signs had that awkward look that you often see in older books, and so forth. The 3rd edition looks a lot more modern. Not sure about the 2nd, but it might be worth a look before buying.

FAQ: What Are the Key Differences Between Baby Rudin 2nd and 3rd Edition?

What are the main differences between the 2nd and 3rd editions of "Baby Rudin"?

The main differences between the 2nd and 3rd editions of "Baby Rudin" include the addition of new chapters on Lebesgue integration and metric spaces in the 3rd edition, as well as updates and revisions to the existing material. The 3rd edition also includes more exercises and examples compared to the 2nd edition.

Is the 3rd edition of "Baby Rudin" significantly more challenging than the 2nd edition?

While the 3rd edition of "Baby Rudin" does include additional material, it is not necessarily more challenging than the 2nd edition. The overall structure and level of difficulty remain similar between the two editions.

Which edition of "Baby Rudin" is recommended for beginners in mathematical analysis?

Both the 2nd and 3rd editions of "Baby Rudin" are suitable for beginners in mathematical analysis. However, the 3rd edition may be a better choice for those interested in learning about Lebesgue integration and metric spaces.

Are the exercises and examples in the 3rd edition of "Baby Rudin" different from the 2nd edition?

Yes, the 3rd edition of "Baby Rudin" includes new exercises and examples, as well as revisions to the existing ones. This provides readers with a wider range of practice problems and applications to enhance their understanding of the material.

Can the 2nd and 3rd editions of "Baby Rudin" be used interchangeably for studying mathematical analysis?

Yes, both editions of "Baby Rudin" cover the fundamental topics in mathematical analysis and can be used interchangeably for studying the subject. However, the 3rd edition may offer a more comprehensive and updated approach to the material.