What Are the Key Parameters for Designing a Reflection Diffraction Grating?

To determine the optimum blaze angle, you need to use the formula: θ_b = arcsin((mλ_b)/2nd), where λ_b is the blaze wavelength, m is the diffraction order (in this case, 2), n is the number of grooves per cm, and d is the grating spacing. Plugging in the values given, we get θ_b = arcsin((2*350e-9)/(2*8750*10^-7)) = 0.30625 radians or 17.56 degrees.For part c), you can use the formula: sin θ = mλ/d, where λ is the wavelength of light and d is the grating spacing. Plugging
Qyzren
A reflection grating is required that can resolve wavelengths as close as 0.02A (angstroms) in second order for the spectral region around 350 nm. The grating is to be installed in an instrument where light from the entrance slit is incident normally on the grating. If the manufacturer provides rulings over a 10cm grating width, determine
(a) the minimum number of grooves/cm required
(b) the optimum blaze angle for work in this region
(c) the angle of diffraction where irradiance is maximum
(d) the dispersion in nanometers per degree

Attempt
a) the minimum number of grooves/cm required
Pretty sure part a) is correct
R = mN = λ/Δλ = (350e-9)/(0.002e-9) = 175000
m = 2
So N = 87500
Grooves/cm => 87500/10 = 8750 grooves/cm

b) the optimum blaze angle for work in this region
unsure if I'm correct.
Useful formulas
θ_i = incidient angle, θ_b = blaze angle, θ direction of blaze peak
θ_i - θ_b = θ + θ_b

d*sin θ = mλ

However i didn't know how to apply it using these as i didn't see the connection, but did find a formula on google (part 1.6.1 of http://www.jobinyvon.com/usadivisions/OOS/oos1.htm)
2*sin θ_b = m*n*λ_b
2*sin θ_b = 2*350*8750*10^-7
sin θ_b = 0.30625
θ_b = 17.83 degrees
although i think this is wrong please help.

c) the angle of diffraction where irradiance is maximum
Need help...
Do i somehow have to use this formula?
I(θ) = I(0) * ( (sin β)/β )² * ( sin (Nα) / (N*sin α) )²

d) the dispersion in nanometers per degree
the formula is dθ/dλ = m/(d*cos θ)
but how do you use this? i know m = 2, but what's d or θ

Thank you for helping me.

Physics news on Phys.org
any help is appreciated.

your method for part b) seems a bit off

FAQ: What Are the Key Parameters for Designing a Reflection Diffraction Grating?

What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component that consists of a large number of equally spaced parallel grooves etched onto a surface. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths, creating a spectrum.

What is the purpose of the grooves on a diffraction grating?

The grooves on a diffraction grating act as a series of parallel slits, diffracting light and causing it to spread out into its component wavelengths. This allows for the separation and analysis of light.

How are diffraction grating grooves made?

Diffraction grating grooves are typically made by using a process called ruling, where a diamond-tipped tool is used to physically scratch the grooves onto a surface. They can also be made through lithography, where a pattern is etched onto a surface using light-sensitive material and chemical processes.

What factors affect the efficiency of diffraction grating grooves?

The efficiency of diffraction grating grooves can be affected by several factors, including the number of grooves per unit length, the spacing between the grooves, the angle at which the incident light strikes the grating, and the wavelength of the light being diffracted.

What are some common applications of diffraction grating grooves?

Diffraction grating grooves are commonly used in spectroscopy, where they are used to separate and analyze the light emitted by different elements and compounds. They are also used in optical instruments such as spectrometers, monochromators, and laser systems.

Back