What Are the Key Steps to Solve These Ellipse Problems?

The reason for this is that the number added to y (in this case 1) is actually c^2. So in the second exercise c=\sqrt{c^2} = \sqrt{8} = 2\sqrt{2}In summary, the problem is to determine the coordinates of the centre and the lengths of the major and minor axes for two given equations. The key is to recognize the form of an ellipse and use the coefficients to find the values for a and b. In the first equation, the centre is at the origin and a=4, b=3. In the second equation, the centre is at (x=0,y=-1) and a=3, b=2. The
trigger352
Problem I:

(The coeffiecients throw me off, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them)
9x^2 + 16y^2 = 144

Determine:
a) coodinates of the centre
b) lengths of the major and minor axes

Problem II:

Sketch a graph of the ellipse

4x^2 + (y+1)^2 = 9

PS: For future posts would it be of any help to include the textbook referred to etc?

In this case:

Mathpower 12: WE
Problem I - p. 150 #9
Problem II - p. 150 #19

PPS: I've also italicized any comments about my attemts - since people seem to like to help out people making an attempt.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
trigger352 said:
Problem I:

(The coeffiecients throw me off, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them)
9x^2 + 16y^2 = 144

Determine:
a) coodinates of the centre
b) lengths of the major and minor axes

You have to get it in standard form first. Divide both sides by 144.

That gives:

[tex]\frac{x^2}{16} + \frac{y^2}{9} = 1[/tex]

a = length of the major axis
b= length of the minor axis

The clue in both the exercises is to recognize the form of an ellipse with its centre in the origin:

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

As mentioned a and b are the lengths of the axes.

In the second exercise the centre is not in origo but (x=0,y=-1).

Related to What Are the Key Steps to Solve These Ellipse Problems?

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of conic section, which is the shape formed when a plane intersects a cone at a certain angle. It is a closed curve that resembles a flattened circle, with two distinct foci and a major and minor axis.

2. How do you find the equation of an ellipse?

The standard form of an ellipse's equation is (x-h)²/a² + (y-k)²/b² = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axis, respectively. To find this equation, you will need to know the coordinates of the center and the lengths of the axes.

3. What is the focus-directrix property of an ellipse?

The focus-directrix property of an ellipse states that for any point on the ellipse, the distance to one focus plus the distance to the other focus will always be equal to the length of the major axis. This property is useful in understanding the geometric properties of an ellipse.

4. How are ellipses used in real life?

Ellipses have many real-life applications, including in architecture, engineering, and astronomy. For example, the shape of the dome of a building or the orbit of a planet can be modeled by an ellipse. They are also commonly used in art and design.

5. What is the difference between an ellipse and a circle?

An ellipse and a circle are both closed curves, but the main difference is that a circle has a constant distance from its center to any point on its circumference, while an ellipse has two different distances from its foci to any point on its curve. A circle can also be seen as a special case of an ellipse, where the two foci are at the same point.