What are the limiting factors in this case

• Thread starter mubashirmansoor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary, the limiting factors for sky gazing in this case are the toxic air pollution and humidity in the area. The moon may also be a factor, as well as the distance from major cities. The best place for clear night sky views was in a remote area in Pakistan.
mubashirmansoor
What are the limiting factors in this case...

Hello,

I have quite recently shifted to this area in Thailand. This is a very small town, there are no big cities for more than 150km distance, & no special industrial towns nearby.

Before coming here I had thought this will be a very good place for sky gazing even with naked eye, but surprisingly I have found it all opposite. The sky is extremely dark and I can't see anything except moon with an unaided eye.

I Haven't been able to understand why... I think I don't know all the limiting factors which simply block easy watch of heavens.

I'll be thankful for your replies.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The toxic air pollution in some parts of Thailand contain pollutants that are 60 to 3000 times higher than health standards in developed nations. The sources are often open fires, including forest and open air cooking, so distance from major cities may not ameliorate visibility problems a lot. 150 km is not a lot when effluent is high in essentially in every direction around you. I don't know what part you are in. Prevailing winds are also an issue at that distance. Is a haze or darkish coloration visible on the horizon during the day?
http://www.epa.gov/visibility/

The other major factor is humidity. Even by itself high humidity can greatly reduce visibility. In combination with pollution particles it is far worse. Here in the states exceptionally clear nights are far more rare than when I was a kid, though better than a few years ago. It is really awesome to see a crystal clear view of the stars.

Well, depending on how recently you moved to the area, the moon itself may be the problem. It's near full now and for about the past week (and for the next week), it would blot out all but the brightest stars.

my_wan said:
The toxic air pollution in some parts of Thailand contain pollutants that are 60 to 3000 times higher than health standards in developed nations. The sources are often open fires, including forest and open air cooking, so distance from major cities may not ameliorate visibility problems a lot. 150 km is not a lot when effluent is high in essentially in every direction around you. I don't know what part you are in. Prevailing winds are also an issue at that distance. Is a haze or darkish coloration visible on the horizon during the day?.

Thanks for the information, you are right, I can see the haze during the daytime & there are simply dozens of open air cooking spots in every single area. Also no doubt about fires which are created by locals to either burn the garbage or useless forest woods...

I am in Chanthaburi, 250km east of Bangkok, a small town famous for its gem trade. Toxic materials are also used such as beryllium for heating gems in bulk quantities.

The best place where I was able to see crystal clear sky was in the south western province of Balochistan in Pakistan when traveling to Iran by road. There was no sign of any village for 100s of kilometers & no lights, haze or any sort of pollution, all & all a lonely huge dessert... The night view was soooooooooo amazing that words are not enough to describe it all it was just like a dream, I could see stars, a massive nebula which was streched all the way, I think that was the center of galaxy??.
In short The Best scene I have ever seen

I am really thankful for your reply, you have been a great help.

mubashirmansoor said:
... a massive nebula which was streched all the way, I think that was the center of galaxy??.
That would be the milky-way, our own galaxy - or at least one spiral arm of it. Whether the center of the galaxy was in view (it's a single point) depends on your location or time of year.

FAQ: What are the limiting factors in this case

What are the limiting factors in this case?

The limiting factors in this case refer to the factors that restrict the growth or development of a population or an organism. These factors can be biotic (living) or abiotic (non-living) and can vary depending on the specific case being studied.

What are some examples of biotic limiting factors?

Some examples of biotic limiting factors include competition for resources (such as food, water, and shelter), predation, disease, and parasitism. These factors can limit the population growth of a species by reducing the availability of resources or increasing mortality rates.

What are some examples of abiotic limiting factors?

Abiotic limiting factors include physical factors such as temperature, water availability, sunlight, and soil nutrients. These factors can affect the survival and reproduction of organisms by creating unfavorable conditions for growth and development.

How do limiting factors impact an ecosystem?

Limiting factors play a crucial role in maintaining balance and stability within an ecosystem. They help regulate the population size of species and prevent overpopulation, which can have negative impacts on the environment. Additionally, limiting factors can also influence the distribution and diversity of species within an ecosystem.

Can limiting factors be manipulated?

In some cases, limiting factors can be manipulated to control the growth or development of a particular species. For example, limiting the amount of water or nutrients available to a plant can limit its growth. However, manipulating limiting factors can also have unintended consequences and should be carefully considered in scientific research or management practices.