What are the most memorable quotes about Quantum Theory of Gravity?

• Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
In summary: Iliopoulos, Maiani.In summary, some of the most famous quotes about a Quantum Theory of Gravity include "Anyone who says that they understand Quantum Mechanics does not understand Quantum Mechanics" by Richard Feynman, "Nobody understands quantum theory" by Richard Feynman, and "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so" by Douglas Adams. Other notable quotes include "The glory of science is not in a truth more absolute than the truth of Bach or Tolstoy" by Arthur Koestler and a humorous poem by Howard Georgi about dimensions and string theory. Overall, these quotes highlight the complexity and mystery of the quantum world and the challenges of understanding it.
PRodQuanta
What are some of your favorite quotes that are about a Quantum Theory of Gravity (be it SST, LQG, etc...). I'm interested in serious along with humorous quotes.

Paden Roder

Physics news on Phys.org
"Anyone who says that they understand Quantum Mechanics does not understand Quantum Mechanics"-Richard Feynman

I guess since this has to do with Quantum Theory by default it has to deal with a quantum theory of gravity.

"You are all flaming faggots" -Me

Ed Quanta said:
"Anyone who says that they understand Quantum Mechanics does not understand Quantum Mechanics"-Richard Feynman

I thought that was Niels Bohr...

Niels Bohr, 1927: "Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory does not understand it."

Richard Feynman, 1967: "Nobody understands quantum theory."

And since we're on the subject of the world being "not only stranger than we know, but stranger than we can know" (which scientist said this?? I remember reading it in a popular science book, but can't remember where or who??) ...

... not strictly regarding quantum physics, but since we're on the subject of human understanding and the subjectivity of perception, one of my very favourite quotes :
"... Einstein’s space is no closer to reality than Van Gogh’s sky. The glory of science is not in a truth more absolute than the truth of Bach or Tolstoy, but in the act of creation itself. The scientist’s discoveries impose his own order on chaos, as the composer or painter imposes his; an order that always refers to limited aspects of reality, and is based on the observer’s frame of reference, which differs from period to period as a Rembrandt nude differs from a nude by Manet." - Arthur Koestler :cool:

As a student of the history of science, I find scientific methodology so interesting ... from 'science fiction' to hypotheses to theories, always based on evidence ... so we've got the imagination, and the observations, combined ...

And regarding another of my favourite physics subjects, time, the great Douglas Adams' quote: "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." :wink:

Last edited:
"Anyon e who is not shocked by the Quantum theorydoesnot understand it"
- Neils bohr

Below is a littl epoem i came across, composed by Harvard's Howard Georgi, reminding Weinberg...
"Steve weinberg, returning from Texas
brings dimensions galore to perplex us
But the extra one all
are rolled up in a ball
so tiny it never affects us"
it may not directly linked to what u asked for, but hey this is some of the rarest thing u'll ever find:

Below r some more, some of u may admire

" The theory of everything, if u dare to be bold,
Might be something more than a string orbifold.
While some of your leaders have got old and sclerotic,
Not to be trusted alone with things heterotic
Please heed our advice that you are not smitten--
The book is not finished, the last word is not Witten"
-- Glashow

FAQ: What are the most memorable quotes about Quantum Theory of Gravity?

What is the importance of having a favorite quote?

A favorite quote can serve as a source of inspiration and motivation, reminding us of our values and goals. It can also provide comfort during difficult times and serve as a reflection of our personality and beliefs.

How do I choose a favorite quote?

There is no right or wrong way to choose a favorite quote. It can be a line from a book, a lyric from a song, or something someone said that resonates with you. The key is to choose a quote that speaks to you and holds meaning in your life.

Can my favorite quote change over time?

Absolutely. Our experiences and perspectives evolve as we grow, and a quote that once held meaning may no longer resonate with us. It's okay for our favorite quotes to change as we change.

Is it important to understand the context of a quote?

While it's not necessary to know the full context of a quote, it can provide a deeper understanding and appreciation for its meaning. It can also prevent misinterpretation or taking the quote out of context.

Can a quote be considered a reliable source of information?

No, a quote is simply a statement or phrase that someone has said or written. It should not be considered a factual or reliable source of information, but rather a personal perspective or opinion.