What are the optimal dimensions for a soup can to minimize material costs?

• Thread starter Jordan_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the soup manufacturer wants to make a can that will have the least amount of material cost. By minimizing the cost, they will be able to make more money.
Jordan_
Alright, here is another problem I'm having trouble with. I used a technique I got off of someone on my other thread, and am just looking to see what should be done next.

A soup manufacturer wants to sell it's soup in 500mL cans. The metal for the top and bottom costs $1.20/m^2. The metal for the side costs $0.40/m^2. After the circles for the top and bottom are cut out of rectangle, the remaining metal will be scrapped. Find the dimensions of the can that will minimize the cost of materal.

ANS: 2.54m, 24.68m

Alright so first I got my equation for the surface area of a cylinder:
SA = 2(pi)rh + 2(pi)r^2

and converted 500mL to 0.0005m^3

Then I put in my cost numbers:
SA = 1.2[2(pi)r^2] + 0.4[2(pi)rh]

Now at this stage I used what I learned in the other thread and got the 'h' out of there by switching the volume formula around (V = (pi)r^2h) and substituting it for 'h'.

SA = (1.2)2(pi)r^2 + (0.4)2(pi)r[.0005/(pi)r^2)

Now I think I have to simplify and then take the derivative, but when I do that I get dr/dx's and then I get confused and don't know where to go. Anyone give me some tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before I even attempt this problem, I can tell you that there are no soup cans out there the size of a six-story building... 24 meters?

Anyway, you'll probably get confused by naming the cost function "SA," so rename it to "C." Then take the derivative of C with respect to r (dC/dr). There are no x's in there that you have to deal with.

durt said:
Before I even attempt this problem, I can tell you that there are no soup cans out there the size of a six-story building... 24 meters?
Anyway, you'll probably get confused by naming the cost function "SA," so rename it to "C." Then take the derivative of C with respect to r (dC/dr). There are no x's in there that you have to deal with.

Yes I know that number looks retardedly big. I copied it from the board but I'm sure she just made a mistake writing it. Just thought I'd post it incase you guys needed it.

FAQ: What are the optimal dimensions for a soup can to minimize material costs?

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation. It is used to analyze and model continuous change in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between differential and integral calculus?

Differential calculus deals with the instantaneous rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of a function over a given interval. In simpler terms, differential calculus focuses on finding the slope of a curve at a specific point, while integral calculus focuses on finding the area under a curve.

3. How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus has numerous real-life applications, such as determining the maximum or minimum value of a function, finding the optimal solutions for various optimization problems, and predicting the behavior of complex systems. It is widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and even biology and medicine.

4. What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of a function over a given interval.

5. Is calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging for some people as it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. However, with proper understanding and practice, it can be a powerful tool for solving real-world problems.