What are the origins of cellular ion channels and integral membrane proteins?

In summary, the origins of cellular ion channels and integral membrane proteins can be traced back to the early evolution of life on Earth. These proteins are crucial for the proper functioning of cells, allowing for the controlled movement of ions and molecules across the cell membrane. The earliest forms of these proteins were likely simple structures that evolved over time to become more complex and specialized. Today, they play important roles in a wide range of biological processes, from nerve signaling to nutrient uptake.
Chatul
I like science, which is obvious if I'm on this forum. I mostly like biology but I dabble a little in everything. I like answering questions people have in introductory biology and chemistry. For my own interests, I mostly read about cellular ion channels, but I also read about integral membrane proteins in general. I don't know why, but they really interest me and I seem to naturally understand them. I hope to learn to use programs like BLAST, I'm really into how proteins first evolved and then through evolution gained many different functions. I like the idea of figuring out when and how the protein first evolved. I like medicine in general and I understand pharmacology pretty well.

Chatul is Hebrew for cat. I like cats.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF! :smile: 🐱