What are the pin reactions at A and D?

In summary, the couple at the midpoints of bars AB and BD have zero net force on each other and Ra_x and Ra_y are equal.
MrMechanic

Homework Statement

The two couples act at the midpoints of bars AB and BD. Determine the magnitudes of the pin reactions at A and D. Neglect the Weights of the members. [See Attachments for Figure]

Homework Equations

Sum Moment Along A & D = 0
Sum of Forces along X-axis
Sum forces along y-axis

The Attempt at a Solution

so i tried getting the answer at the back which is A = D = 4.22kN.
i tried moment at A
20 -20 + Rd = 0
Rd = 0?
After that i can't find a way to answer the question. Can someone guide me through it.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
I would break the components of the reactions down so you have the following number of unknowns:

Rd_x and Rd_y
Ra_x and Ra_y

I would then take a free body diagram of member AB or BD to get another equation for the reactions. Then take if from there with the other equations you already listed.

Do you mean that I should separate each members and draw a Free-body diagram of each and do the equilibrium equations?

So i tried getting Bx and By.. by summing moments along member AB and member BD. I got Bx = 0 and By = 20/3. Can't seem to proceed from here.

Yes, that's what I meant.

You must have done something wrong since you should have gotten Bx = Dx and By=Dy. Summing moments for member BD then would give you one relationship between Dx and Dy.

I tried this one
At member AB
Sum Moment along Pin A [Clockwise Positive] = 20 - 4Bx - 3By = 0
and should i moment at Member BD?
Also, what's next at my solution. Is it correct?

hey Thanks i got it now. here's my solution

Attachments

• 1911873_249332428583027_1258910800_n.jpg
    1911873_249332428583027_1258910800_n.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 543
A couple of suggestions so that other people can understand better what you are trying to communicate:

- put a ∑ sign in front of Ma and Mb so that it is clear that you are summing up the moments about point A and B respectively; otherwise someone may be thinking you are stating the moment reactions at A and B.

- make a statement that you are explicitly looking at member BD by itself e.g. "For member BD:" or better still draw a free body diagram right at this point.

- I think your sign convention might have been mixed up but you were consistent (or just lucky) so that it still gave the right answer at the end. I would state explicitly what sign convention you are using somewhere
e.g. "[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] -ve [itex]\uparrow[/itex] +ve"
which is what I think you used in your solution.

Likes 1 person

Related to What are the pin reactions at A and D?

What is Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis?

Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis is a method used in physics and engineering to determine the forces acting on an object that is in a state of equilibrium.

Why is Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis important?

Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in equilibrium, which is crucial in designing structures and machines that can safely support loads.

What are the key principles of Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis?

The key principles of Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis are the three laws of equilibrium: the first law states that the net force acting on an object must be zero, the second law states that the net torque (or rotational force) must be zero, and the third law states that the net force and torque must be in the same plane.

How is Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis applied in real-world situations?

Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis is applied in real-world situations such as designing structures like bridges and buildings, calculating the forces on joints and supports in machines, and analyzing the stability of objects like towers and cranes.

What are some common mistakes when using Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis?

Some common mistakes when using Coplanar Equilibrium Analysis include not considering all the forces acting on an object, not taking into account the direction of the forces, and forgetting to include the weight of the object itself as a force. It is also important to properly label and account for all the variables and units in calculations.

Back