What are the prerequisites to studying quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in quantum mechanics and their understanding of basic concepts such as Schrodinger's cat, wave function collapse, and quantum entanglement. They express confusion about harder concepts and ask for recommendations on where to start in terms of mathematics and physics. The speaker also mentions their academic background in calculus, real/complex analysis, linear algebra, and classical mechanics. They are advised to focus on developing their mathematical skills and not to be swayed by sensationalized portrayals of quantum mechanics.
John_Diala
Hi. I'm currently in high school, and ever since my physics teacher brought up quantum mechanics, I've been highly intrigued by it. I understand (at least I think I do!) the general basics of it, like schrodinger's cat, wave function collapse and quantum entanglement, but I don't understand the harder concepts. Any ideas on where I should start, both in mathematics and physics? I can do calculus up to calc 2 and conceptually understand some parts of real/complex analysis and linear algebra, and for physics I think I understand classical mechanics and the basic concepts of general relativity, but other than that, I'm lost.

(Yes, I'm a bit of nerd if you hadn't already noticed. lol).

EDIT: I just realized I should have posted this in the qm section. My bad.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Students do not normally specialize in QM until their second year at University.

The more practiced you are at using math as a language the better though.

At senior HS level, you will need Physics, and Calculus as a minimum.
You should also take Statistics and Algebra courses.
Don't sweat it though - you only need to be "grounded" in these subjects, you don't have to be a wizz.

Beware of pop-sciencey sources or anyone who wants to show how QM is weird and counter-intuitive: they tend to try too hard to emphasize the "woo-wee" factor at the expense of the science.

FAQ: What are the prerequisites to studying quantum mechanics?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles interact with each other and how they behave in different situations.

2. What are the prerequisites to studying quantum mechanics?

The prerequisites to studying quantum mechanics include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and calculus, as well as a solid understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is also helpful to have a basic knowledge of differential equations and complex numbers.

3. Do I need to have a background in physics to study quantum mechanics?

While it is not necessary to have a background in physics, it is highly recommended to have a strong understanding of classical physics concepts before delving into quantum mechanics. This will provide a solid foundation for understanding the more complex concepts in quantum mechanics.

4. Is quantum mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum mechanics can be challenging to understand due to its abstract and counterintuitive nature. It requires a strong grasp of mathematical concepts and a willingness to think outside of the classical physics framework. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to develop a solid understanding of quantum mechanics.

5. What are the practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous practical applications in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, computing, and energy production. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing new technologies such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography. Additionally, quantum mechanics has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in physics.