What Are the Primitive Translation Vectors and Bravais Lattice Type?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding a set of primitive translation vectors and an appropriate basis to describe a crystal structure represented by vectors r1 and r2. The Bravais lattice type was also mentioned. No equations were given, and the attempt at a solution involved finding the shortest independent translation vectors. However, it was noted that r2 is not a lattice point but the position vector of the second atom of the basis.
S_Flaherty

Homework Statement

The vectors r1 and r2 below represent atomic positions in a crystal.

r1 = (n1 + n3)ax + (n2 + n3)ay + n3az
r2 = (n1 + n3 + 1/2)ax + (n2 + n3 1/2)ay + (n3 + 1/2)az

Assume first that the two vectors above correspond to two different types of atom. Find a set of primitive translation vectors and an appropriate basis to describe this structure. Identify the Bravais lattice type.

Homework Equations

No equations were given in class or in the text that I can recognize as being useful for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking for here. My attempt at a solution for the first primitive translation vectors for r1 is:

a1 = n1ax
a2 = n2ay
a3 = n3a(x + y + z)

Am I on the right track? Or am I completely misunderstanding what is being asked?

Physics news on Phys.org
The primitive translation vectors are the shortest independent translation vectors. Their linear combinations are the lattice points.
r2 is not a lattice point, but the position vector of the second atom of the basis.

ehild

Related to What Are the Primitive Translation Vectors and Bravais Lattice Type?

1. What are primitive translation vectors?

Primitive translation vectors are a set of three vectors that define the basic unit cell of a crystal lattice. These vectors represent the smallest repeating unit of a crystal structure and can be used to describe the arrangement of atoms or molecules within the crystal.

2. How are primitive translation vectors different from lattice vectors?

Primitive translation vectors are a subset of lattice vectors, which are a set of vectors that define the entire crystal lattice. While lattice vectors can be non-primitive and describe larger repeating units, primitive translation vectors represent the smallest unit cell and are used to describe the fundamental symmetry of the crystal.

3. How are primitive translation vectors determined?

Primitive translation vectors are determined by the crystal lattice type and its symmetry. They are typically chosen to be the shortest possible vectors that can fully describe the crystal structure. In some cases, they can also be determined through experimental techniques such as X-ray diffraction.

4. Can primitive translation vectors change depending on the crystal structure?

Yes, primitive translation vectors can vary depending on the crystal structure and its symmetry. Different crystal systems (cubic, tetragonal, hexagonal, etc.) have different primitive translation vectors that describe their unique unit cells.

5. How are primitive translation vectors used in crystallography?

Primitive translation vectors are used in crystallography to describe the symmetry and periodicity of a crystal structure. They are also used to calculate important properties such as the lattice parameters, volume, and density of the crystal. In addition, primitive translation vectors are essential in understanding the crystal structure and its physical and chemical properties.