What are the probabilities of multiverses?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking clarification on quantum physics and whether it involves the existence of infinite parallel universes. It is noted that much of the information presented in popular science is incorrect and that a specific reference should be used for further discussion. The conversation is then closed.
Bibatshu Thapa
I heard about quantum physics describing it but can anyone make it clear to me??

Physics news on Phys.org
Warning: Though an often used science fiction cliche Quantum Physics does NOT assert that there are infinite parallel universes. That is a reference to something called the Everett's Many Worlds Interpretation which is rather an ontological model (one of several). Note that by a parallel argument, we can model the predictions of Special Relativity by asserting that the observed phenomena are due to clocks slowing and distances shortening due to motion through an invisible aether. This does NOT mean SR asserts that such an aether exists and in fact a key aspect of SR is that it dispenses with this aether model.

Likes Bibatshu Thapa
Bibatshu Thapa said:
I heard about quantum physics describing it but can anyone make it clear to me??
Approximately 98%(*) of everything you read about quantum physics in pop-sci presentations is wrong

* this number may be too low.

Likes Bibatshu Thapa and vanhees71
Bibatshu Thapa said:

This question is much too broad for a PF discussion. If you can find a specific reference (textbook or peer-reviewed paper) that talks about multiverses, and you have questions about what it says, you can start a new thread with a specific question of that sort.

In the meantime, this thread is closed.

Likes Bibatshu Thapa

Related to What are the probabilities of multiverses?

1. What is a multiverse?

A multiverse is a hypothetical concept in which there are multiple parallel universes that exist alongside our own. Each universe may have its own set of physical laws and properties, leading to potentially different outcomes and possibilities.

2. What is the evidence for multiverses?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of multiverses. The concept is based on theoretical models and hypotheses in physics and cosmology, such as the inflationary theory and string theory. However, ongoing research and advancements in these fields may provide more evidence in the future.

3. Are there different types of multiverses?

Yes, there are several proposed types of multiverses. The most commonly discussed types include the Many-Worlds interpretation, the Bubble Universe theory, and the Parallel Universes theory. Each of these suggests different ways in which multiple universes could exist.

4. Are there any ethical implications of the existence of multiverses?

The ethical implications of multiverses are still a topic of debate and speculation. Some argue that the existence of infinite universes could lead to a lack of accountability for actions, while others believe it could provide a greater understanding of our place in the universe and promote a sense of interconnectedness.

5. Can we ever prove the existence of multiverses?

As of now, it is not possible to definitively prove or disprove the existence of multiverses. However, advancements in technology and scientific understanding may provide more evidence in the future. It is also important to note that the concept of multiverses may always remain in the realm of theoretical physics and may not be testable in the traditional sense.