What Are the Products of Zinc Sulphate and Barium Nitrate Reaction?

• Thread starter jools111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary: The salt that will precipitate from the reaction is barium sulfate.In summary, the student is having a hard time coming up with a product for this type of question. He has no problems writing the formulas for the individual compounds, but is having a hard time coming up with the product for these type of questions. He has a problem with the products, specifically with the insoluble salt. He is seeking help from his classmates, but is still having difficulty.
jools111

Homework Statement

Write and Balance equations for the following reactions:

zinc sulphate + barium nitrate ----->

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the formulas for the reactants are :

ZnSO4 + Ba(NO3)2 ---->

I'm just having a really hard time coming up with the product for these type of questions. I have no problems writing the formulas for the individual compounds, and balancing afterwards is good to go as well. It's the products I'm having trouble with. Can anybody give me a shove in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I end up with a mixture of ions initially after mixing them. But there appears to be a compound that is insoluble...

Fightfish said:
I end up with a mixture of ions initially after mixing them. But there appears to be a compound that is insoluble...

So could I use the model for an exchange reaction,

AB + CD ----> AD + CB

ZnSO4 + Ba(NO3)2 ----> Zn(NO3) + BaSO4

Does that work?

jools111 said:
Does that work?

In general - no. ZnCl2 + Ba(NO3)2 is no reaction. However, do you know solubility rules? If so, do you see potentially insoluble salt? (That's what Fightfish already signalled).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not 100% on solubility rules yet... but I'm getting there. I do see that barium sulfate is insoluble. But there are no liquids in this reaction... so how does solubility come into play? Also, you have zinc chloride as the first reactant. Shouldn't it be zinc sulfate? Or have I missed something again...

Last edited:
The only way any reaction may happen is if you mix these salts in solution - when you mix solids, nothing happens. And zinc chloride/barium nitrate was just an example of very similar mixture which doesn't react - it just sits in the solution for ever.

So the question states:

Write and balance an equation for the following reaction

zinc sulphate + barium nitrate

With both these compunds beings solids... I understand how there would be no reaction. Am I to assume that a liquid is added, and part of the reaction? I am really confused with this question.

Approach it as if you were mixing solutions. So not

ZnSO4 + Ba(NO3)2

but

ZnSO4(aq) + Ba(NO3)2(aq)

Ok... So based on the general solubility rules, most nitrates and sufates are soluble. Which makes both of our compunds soluble... Can I not apply the exchange rule:

AB + CD ---> AD + CB

To give me:

ZnSO4 + Ba(NO3)2 ---> Zn(NO3)2 + BaSO4

Even in an aqueous state, the rule should apply right?

jools111 said:
most nitrates and sufates are soluble

Most, but not all.

The rule states:

2. Most nitrates and acetates are soluble. AgC2H3O2 is moderately soluble.
4. Most sulfates are soluble except BaSO4, SrSO4, and PbSO4. CaSO4 and Hg2SO4 are moderately soluble.

If it is not part of the rule, how can I tell what is soluble and what is not?

Fourth rule specifically points to what salt will precipitate from the solution.

I'm sorry... I'm not following. In my book the fourth rule states:

4. Most sulfates are soluble except BaSO4, SrSO4, and PbSO4. CaSO4 and Hg2SO4 are moderately soluble.

Would the precipitate not be one of the products? Neither of the reactants in my equation are listed there...

Seems like you are missing something... Do you know that salts are dissociated in water? Your solution contains Ba2+, Zn2+, SO42- and NO3-. They can recombine producing 4 possible salts. Of these most are soluble, so they won't precipitate.

I am a bit confused too... As you have said, the solution contains 4 possible ions that recombine to form 4 possible salts. Since barium sulphate can be formed, why doesn't it precipitate from the reaction?

FAQ: What Are the Products of Zinc Sulphate and Barium Nitrate Reaction?

1. What is the format for writing a chemical equation?

The format for writing a chemical equation is: Reactant(s) → Product(s). The reactants are the substances that undergo a chemical change, and the products are the resulting substances.

2. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the same number of each type of atom appears on both sides of the equation. Start by counting the number of each type of atom on each side, then use coefficients (numbers in front of a substance) to balance them. Make sure to only change coefficients and not change the subscripts of the elements in a compound.

3. Can I change the order of the reactants and products in a chemical equation?

No, the order of the reactants and products in a chemical equation cannot be changed. The reactants must always be on the left side and the products on the right side.

4. How do I know which state of matter to use for each substance in a chemical equation?

The state of matter (solid, liquid, gas, or aqueous) can be indicated using abbreviations in parentheses next to the substance. Solid is denoted as (s), liquid as (l), gas as (g), and aqueous as (aq). If a substance is not specified, it is assumed to be in its most common state at room temperature.

5. Can I write a chemical equation without using symbols and formulas?

No, chemical equations must use symbols and formulas to accurately represent the substances involved in a chemical reaction. These symbols and formulas help to show the types and numbers of atoms present in each substance, as well as their arrangement in the reactants and products.

Back