What are the Quantum Mechanics Situations Allowing Light to Escape Black Holes?

In summary, according to the video, black holes "except for certain Quantum Mechanical situations" can emit Hawking radiation, which is a mathematical concept. Tunneling is a different process, which is usually described as a 'wavepacket' that 'tunnel' past an obstacle.
freydawg56
So I'm watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSOPq9rZYcU&NR=1

So it says that nothing, even light, can escape a black hole, "except for certain Quantum Mechanic situations" or something like that.

What are these Quantum Mechanic situations they are talking about?

Try to conceptualize this without math if possible, cause i won't remember the math description very well.

I see this is a Quantum Physics page, i hope you can answer it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
thanks

There are two things if I remember right, one is Hawking Radiation, the other is what's called 'tunneling'. When it comes to Hawking radiation then that takes place at the EV (Event Horizon) which is the last place you can exist on, being said to still belong to this Universe. From passing there all light will 'disappear' never being able to 'climb out' of a BH.

When it comes to how it does it, it's called 'virtual pair production'. as I understands it. One of the particles at the EV takes a path into our universe, the other get 'annihilated' inside the EV and 'virtual' means that the process normally takes place under Planck time and therefore isn't observable, as I understands it. When people speaks about BH 'communicating' through Hawking radiation they usually mean that the particle inside The EV is a negative one, possibly also creating photons in its annihilation with the still positive matter inside it.

Another view is that as they 'transform' from virtual to 'real' particles they draw on the energy of the Black Hole as it is in that gravitational 'field' they are created therefore 'stealing' some of the BH 'mass'.

When it comes to tunneling it's a totally different process. Normally when defining how tunneling works you speak about a' wavepacket' which, as I understands it, is a arbitrary defined 'collection' of sin waves representing a 'photon' with a arbitrarily defined 'cut out'. As the wavepacket reaches further than the gap/obstacle hindering a 'particle photon ' to pass, it is thought that it 'tunnel' that way, mostly due to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle which makes its 'position' undecided. What it 'in reality' seems to do is to take itself in the 'tail' and sort of 'compress' itself past that obstacle, or if you like 'jump/materialize' itself FTL loosely speaking :) Nota bene, some say that it takes a certain 'time' for it to do so too?

Now, some call those both processes described the same when it comes to Hawking radiation?
Others see them as different?

As for myself, I haven't had the opportunity to observe neither one, as yet :)
And Hawking radiation isn't proved, other than as a mathematical concept.

So I'll wait and see. All of this is how i understands it though.
And there might be so much more to it :)

Last edited:
well, thanks.
and FYI, it is proper English to say "As I understand It", but that is a math forum, not an English one so i'll let it slide.. lol.

You're welcome.

Checking your statement I found both used?
So? maybe American vocabulary versus English?

Thanks for the tip anyway:)

Related to What are the Quantum Mechanics Situations Allowing Light to Escape Black Holes?

What is a black hole and why does light escape from it?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. Light escaping from a black hole is a result of the immense gravity warping the surrounding space-time, causing light to follow a curved path and eventually escape.

How is light affected by the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for anything that enters a black hole. Light is affected by the event horizon in that it can no longer escape once it crosses this point. This is due to the extreme gravitational pull that causes light to follow a curved path towards the center of the black hole.

Can light escape from a black hole's singularity?

The singularity is the center of a black hole where the gravitational pull becomes infinite. It is believed that light cannot escape from the singularity, as the gravity is too strong for anything to escape, including light.

Do we have evidence of light escaping from black holes?

Yes, we have observed light escaping from black holes through various astronomical observations. For example, we can detect X-rays emitted from the accretion disk of a black hole, which is the material being pulled towards the black hole. We have also observed light being bent by the immense gravity of black holes in a phenomenon known as gravitational lensing.

Could light escaping from black holes have any impact on our understanding of the universe?

Yes, the study of light escaping from black holes can provide valuable insights into the properties of black holes and the effects of gravity on light. It can also help us further our understanding of the structure and evolution of our universe. Additionally, the detection of gravitational waves, which are ripples in space-time caused by massive objects like black holes, can also provide evidence of light escaping from black holes and aid in our understanding of the universe.