What Are the Radian Measures of the Supplement and Complement of Pi/8?

• Thread starter Nelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: There is a right angle that has a measure of 1 radian, and a straight angle that has a measure of 2 radians.
Nelo

Homework Statement

13) An angle has a radian measure of Pi/8 . Find the exact radian measure of

a) Its supplement
b) Its complement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting it to degrees by doing degrees / pi and then doing 90 - that angle i got to give me supplement / compliment, then re convert it back into radiants, However that didnt work.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nelo said:
I tried converting it to degrees by doing degrees / pi...
You don't need to convert to degrees; however, if you really want to, you want to multiply by 180/π. I don't know what you mean by "degrees/pi".

Nelo said:
... and then doing 90 - that angle i got to give me supplement / compliment, then re convert it back into radiants, However that didnt work.
"90 - that angle"... does that give you the supplement, the complement, or both? You're not making any sense here.

Instead of converting π/8 to degrees, convert 90° to radians (and it's 90°, not 90 - if there's no degree mark, radians is assumed) and then perform the subtraction.

Nelo said:

Homework Statement

13) An angle has a radian measure of Pi/8 . Find the exact radian measure of

a) Its supplement
b) Its complement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting it to degrees by doing degrees / pi and then doing 90 - that angle i got to give me supplement / compliment, then re convert it back into radiants, However that didnt work.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

An important part of trig is learning to think in radians, so converting to degrees isn't suggested.

My tenth grade geometry teacher told us that 'c' is for corner, and 's' is for straight. So the complement is what you add to your angle to get a right angle; and the supplement is what you add to get a straight angle.

How many radians are in a right angle? How many in a straight angle?

Related to What Are the Radian Measures of the Supplement and Complement of Pi/8?

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions, also known as trig functions, are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the ratios of its sides. The most commonly used trig functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How are trigonometric functions used in word problems?

Trigonometric functions are used in word problems to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle, as well as to model real-life scenarios involving angles and distances. They can also be used to find missing information in other shapes, such as circles and ellipses.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used as a visual representation of the values of trigonometric functions at different angles. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine of the angle, while the y-coordinate represents the sine of the angle.

4. How do we apply trigonometric functions to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometric functions can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems involving angles and distances. For example, they can be used to calculate the height of a building, the angle of elevation for a ladder, and the distance between two objects.

5. What are inverse trigonometric functions and when are they used?

Inverse trigonometric functions are the opposite of trigonometric functions. They are used to find the measure of an angle, given the ratio of its sides. They are particularly useful in solving word problems involving right triangles, where the angles are unknown but the sides are given.