What are the real and imaginary parts of z in terms of w?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the real and imaginary parts of z in terms of w, given the equation 1/z = 1/2 + 1/(iw) + 1/(i+1)w. The poster also asks for help in solving the problem and for showing their attempted solution.
yenyen
Given that 1/z = 1/2 + 1/(iw) + 1/(i+1)w
Express the real and imaginary parts of z in term of w.Someone please help me to solve it.. THANK YOU!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, yenyen! :D

I have deleted the duplicate posting of this thread. We ask that you only post a question once. Posting a question multiple times can lead to duplication of effort on the part of our helpers, whose time is valuable.

I have moved the remaining thread here, because this question does not involve calculus or analysis.

We also ask that people posting questions show what they have tried so that our helpers know where you are stuck and how best to help. Can you post what you have tried?

FAQ: What are the real and imaginary parts of z in terms of w?

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and an imaginary part. The real part is a normal number, while the imaginary part is a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit, denoted by "i". The imaginary unit is defined as the square root of -1.

How are complex numbers represented?

Complex numbers are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The real and imaginary parts can also be represented graphically on a complex plane, with the real part on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis.

What are some common operations on complex numbers?

Some common operations on complex numbers include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations follow similar rules to those of real numbers, but with the added complexity of dealing with the imaginary unit.

What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is the number a - bi. In other words, the conjugate has the same real part as the original complex number, but with the opposite sign on the imaginary part. The conjugate is useful in simplifying complex number expressions and finding the modulus of a complex number.

How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to model and solve problems involving alternating currents, quantum mechanics, and signal processing, among others. They are also used in computer graphics and game development for representing and manipulating 3D objects.