What are the solutions for the given vector problem?

• Thread starter Gattz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, in a meeting of mimes, mime 1 goes through a displacement of (2.79 m)i + (3.53 m)j and mime 2 goes through a displacement of (-6.75 m)i + (5.3 m)j. The questions asked were (a)|d1 × d2|, (b)d1 · d2, (c)(d1 + d2) · d2, and (d) the component of d1 along the direction of d2. The answers in standard SI units are (a) 18.8 m^2, (b) -0.1, (c) -18.8 m^2, and (d) -
Gattz

Homework Statement

In a meeting of mimes, mime 1 goes through a displacement d1 = (2.79 m)i + (3.53 m)j and and mime 2 goes through a displacement d2 = (-6.75 m)i + (5.3 m)j. What are (a)|d1 × d2|, (b)d1 · d2, (c)(d1 + d2) · d2, and (d) the component of d1 along the direction of d2?
Give your answers in standard SI units.

Homework Equations

vectors a dot b = axbx + ayby + azbz

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a and c, but not b and d.

For part b isn't it (-18.8)(1) + 0 + 0 + (18.7)(1) = -.1? I don't know what part d is asking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
For Part B i got -18.83i +18.71j

sorry did not realize my answer was the same as yours!

Haha, no problem. The thing is I have to enter the answers on the computer, but apparently my answer is wrong.

Related to What are the solutions for the given vector problem?

1. What is the definition of vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is a mathematical operation where two vectors are multiplied together to produce a new vector. There are two types of vector multiplication: dot product and cross product.

2. How do you perform vector multiplication?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together. The cross product is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the components of the two vectors.

3. What is the purpose of multiplying vectors?

Multiplying vectors allows us to find the angle between two vectors, calculate the work done by a force, and determine the direction of a resulting vector from two given vectors.

4. What are some real-life applications of multiplying vectors?

Vector multiplication has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used in calculating the force and torque on an object, finding the direction of a magnetic field, and creating 3D animations.

5. Are there any special properties of vector multiplication?

Yes, there are several properties of vector multiplication, including the commutative property (a x b = b x a), the distributive property (a x (b + c) = a x b + a x c), and the associative property ((a x b) x c = a x (b x c)).

Back