What are the solutions to $t^2y'' - 2y = 0$ in the form of $y = t^p$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you so much!In summary, the D.E. $t^2y'' -2y = 0$ has two solutions in the form $y = t^p$, with $p = 2$ and $p = -1$, in addition to the trivial solution $t = 0$. These solutions were found by taking the second derivative of the given form and substituting it into the DE, resulting in a quadratic equation with roots of $p = 2$ and $p = -1$.
shamieh
The D.E. $t^2y'' -2y = 0$ has two solutions in the form $y = t^p$. Find them.

I'm not sure how to do this one. Shouldn't they give me a $y_1(t)$ = something and a $y_2(t)$ = to something? Am I given enough information?

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
The D.E. $t^2y'' -2y = 0$ has two solutions in the form $y = t^p$. Find them.

I'm not sure how to do this one. Shouldn't they give me a $y_1(t)$ = something and a $y_2(t)$ = to something? Am I given enough information?

Well if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = t^p \end{align*}$ then $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}t} = p\,t^{p-1} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}t^2} = p \, \left( p - 1 \right) \, t^{p-2} \end{align*}$. Substituting into the DE gives

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} t^2 \, p \, \left( p - 1 \right) \, t^{p-2} - 2\,t^p &= 0 \\ p\,\left( p - 1 \right) \, t^p - 2\,t^p &= 0 \\ t^p \, \left[ p\, \left( p - 1 \right) - 2 \right] &= 0 \\ t^p \, \left( p^2 - p - 2 \right) &= 0 \\ t^p \, \left( p - 2 \right) \left( p + 1 \right) &= 0 \end{align*}$

So that means either $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t^p = 0 \implies t = 0 \end{align*}$ is a solution, or $\displaystyle \begin{align*} p - 2 = 0 \implies p = 2 \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} p + 1 = 0 \implies p = -1 \end{align*}$ also give solutions to the DE.

Ahh this is so easy! I see now. You just take the 2nd derivative of whatever the form given is and then plug and chug.

FAQ: What are the solutions to $t^2y'' - 2y = 0$ in the form of $y = t^p$?

1. What is a differential equation (D.E.)?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and is an important tool in many scientific fields.

2. Why is finding solutions to D.E.s important?

Finding solutions to D.E.s can help us understand and predict the behavior of systems in the real world. It allows us to make accurate predictions and develop effective strategies for solving problems in various scientific and engineering fields.

3. What are some methods for solving D.E.s?

There are several methods for solving D.E.s, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using Laplace transforms. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of D.E.s.

4. What are the boundary conditions for D.E. solutions?

Boundary conditions are additional information that is needed to determine a specific solution to a D.E. They can be initial conditions, which specify the value of the function at a particular point, or boundary value conditions, which specify the behavior of the function at the boundaries of the domain.

5. Can D.E. solutions be verified?

Yes, D.E. solutions can be verified by substituting them into the original equation and checking if they satisfy the equation. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate the solutions and verify their accuracy.