What Are the Solutions to the Equation \(x^2 + 2i = 0\)?

In summary, the given equation can be solved using three different methods: trigonometric form, the definition of square root, and by simple inspection. The solutions are $x=\pm (1-i)$ and the equation can also be written as $x^2+2i=[x-(1-i)][x-(-1+i)].$ However, the next problem may require the use of trigonometric form, which cannot be provided by the expert summarizer.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$${x}^{2}+2i=0$$
$$\left(x-? \right)\left(x-? \right)=0$$
This should be easy but I couldn't get the factor

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First way. Using trigonometric form :
$$x^2=-2i\Leftrightarrow x=\sqrt{-2i}=\sqrt{2[\cos 3\pi/2+i\sin 3\pi/2]}=\ldots= \pm (1-i).$$
Second way. Using the definition of square root. If $x=x_1+x_2i$ with $x_1,x_2\in\mathbb{R},$ then
$$x^2=-2i\Leftrightarrow (x_1+x_2i)^2=-2i\Leftrightarrow x_1^2+2x_1x_2 i-x_2^2=-2i$$ $$\Leftrightarrow \left \{ \begin{matrix} \displaystyle\begin{aligned} & x_1^2-x_2^2=0\\& 2x_1x_2=-2 \end{aligned}\end{matrix}\right.\Leftrightarrow \ldots\Leftrightarrow \left \{ \begin{matrix} \displaystyle\begin{aligned} & x_1=1,\;x_2=-1\\& x_1=-1,\;x_2=1 \end{aligned}\end{matrix}\right.\Leftrightarrow x=\pm(1-i).$$
Third way. By simple inspection $(1-i)^2=1-2i-1=-2i$ so, also $[-(1-i)]^2=-2i.$

That is, $x^2+2i=[x-(1-i)][x-(-1+i)].$

Last edited:
I like the 3rd way

But looks like next problem is trig form

karush said:
I like the 3rd way
So do I. :)
But looks like next problem is trig form
In that sense, I can't help you. :)

Related to What Are the Solutions to the Equation \(x^2 + 2i = 0\)?

What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is a mathematical expression that contains both real and imaginary numbers, usually in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

How do you find the value of x in a complex equation?

To find the value of x in a complex equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula. It is important to keep track of both the real and imaginary parts of the equation.

What is the difference between a real and imaginary solution in a complex equation?

A real solution in a complex equation is a value of x that results in a real number when substituted into the equation. An imaginary solution is a value of x that results in an imaginary number when substituted into the equation. Both types of solutions are valid and can be found in a complex equation.

Can a complex equation have more than one solution for x?

Yes, a complex equation can have multiple solutions for x. This is because a complex equation can have both real and imaginary solutions, and there can be multiple values of x that satisfy the equation.

What are some real-world applications of complex equations?

Complex equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to model and solve real-world problems. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and electrical circuits. Complex equations are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of many natural and man-made systems.