What Are the Speeds of Two Cars Meeting on a Highway?

• Thread starter ajay.05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: Just like you said, x(t) = x(0) + v * t. So, for car A, xa(t) = 0 + va * t. For car B, xb(t) = 100 + vb * t. Next, you can set up a system of equations. Remember, you have two equations and two unknowns. Your two equations will come from your positions for car A and car B. Each of those equations will have two unknowns, va and vb. So, your system of equations will look like this:xa(t) = xb(t)va * t = vb * tThis will be true for each situation (i.e. traveling in the same direction and traveling towards each other
ajay.05

Homework Statement

Places A and B are 100 km apart on a highway. One car starts from A and the other from B, at the same time. If the cars travel in the same direction at different speeds, they meet in 5 hours. If they travel towards each other, they meet in hour. What are the speeds of two cars?

Homework Equations

http://sketchtoy.com/63036238

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first case,
I assumed that both are traveling toward a point C, and the speeds are x,y respectively(x>y).
Therefore, If car 2 were made to be still, then car 1 will travel with a speed of x-y
So, x-y=20 (Speed = Distance/time)

How can I continue with Case 2?
Help me out:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ajay, and welcome to PF.

:smile: I liked the sketchtoy. But what you really need are some relevant equations.

For the first case:
One for the position of car A as a function of time, and one for the position of car B. Position of point C is where the cars are at the same place. Where that is is not relevant. But you know that at time t=5 hours the equality holds.

Second case same story, different expression for one of the two positions, different C (again, irrelevant). But at time t = 1 hour the equality holds.

And now you have two equations with two unknowns, the speeds of the cars. Presto, physics = math !

I would keep to the standard approach.

When traveling in the same direction, the distance each covers is its speed x duration. That gives you one equation.

What traveling in opposite directions, the distance each covers is its speed x duration. The other equation.

Two equations, two unknowns.

I assumed that both are traveling toward a point C
is a good start. You don't know the speeds, so you name them va and vb. Position in one dimension can be given as x. And a reference point can be xA=0, so that xB=100 km.

So, starting from your relevant equation x(t) = x(0) + v * t
-- this is how you can write your Speed = Distance/time in a convenient way for later use ! --
(this way it has the look of an equation, as opposed to "conversation" :smile:)​
you write down the position of car a as a function of time:
xa(t) = ...​

Hi Ajay,

I would start by adding some additional detail to your sketch. Draw out each situation on an X-axis with some labels for your distance, and vector arrows labeled with the velocities va and vb.

Then work on creating the position equations for each car in each situation, as BvU suggested.

Related to What Are the Speeds of Two Cars Meeting on a Highway?

1. What is the definition of motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time. It can be described using concepts such as speed, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How is motion related to forces?

Motion is related to forces through Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force on an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

3. Can you give an example of a good problem based on motion?

One example of a good problem based on motion could be calculating the final velocity of a car given its initial velocity, acceleration, and time traveled. This problem requires the use of the kinematic equations and can help students understand the relationship between these variables in real-world scenarios.

4. Why is understanding motion important in science?

Understanding motion is important in science because it is a fundamental concept that helps us explain and predict the behavior of many physical phenomena. It is also essential for many practical applications, such as designing vehicles and machines, studying the movement of celestial bodies, and understanding the behavior of fluids.

5. How can problem-based learning be used to teach about motion?

Problem-based learning can be an effective approach to teaching about motion because it allows students to actively engage with the material and apply their knowledge to real-world problems. By presenting students with a challenging problem related to motion, they can develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills while also gaining a deeper understanding of the concepts involved.