What are the steps to finding the angle and height for a tennis serve?

• Thread starter physicshelpme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tennis
In summary: So in summary, the problem involves a tennis serve with a bullet-like trajectory that travels in a straight line, clearing the net before hitting the service line. The angle of the trajectory with the horizontal is 0 degrees, and the height at which the ball is struck with the racket is 5 feet. The service line and baseline distances mentioned in the problem are not relevant to solving this problem. The angle and height can be found using basic trigonometry and the law of similar triangles.
physicshelpme

Homework Statement

1. Consider tennis net which is 2 ft high at its center point; the service line is 20 ft from the net, and the baseline is 30 ft from the net. You have a bullet-like service that travels in a straight line, just clearing the net before hitting the service line.
a) What angle does the trajectory of this serve make with the horizontal?
b) At what height above the ground is the ball struck with the racket?

Homework Equations

1)i don't know how i would find an angle without given one? do i need to assume?
2)dont know where to start

The Attempt at a Solution

1)please help spent hours trying to solve this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :)
Can you draw a diagram at first?

The ball cannot travel in a straight line. Ignoring air resistance it follows a parabolic path.

heres what i drew and my thoughts

physicshelpme said:
heres what i drew and my thoughts

It is not shown.

ehild

picture

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 448
so here what i think happened y=(vi x t)+1/2g x t^2
to find time
vi=0m/s y=2ft g=-9.8m/s so we can find t but we need to convert to meters

i also did vf^2=vi^2 +2ay

vi=0m/s a=-9.8m/s y=2ft->.61meters

so vf=3.5m/s

The ball is hit with initial speed so great that its trajectory can be considered linear. You can ignore the g/2 t^2 term. As written in the problem text
You have a bullet-like service that travels in a straight line, just clearing the net before hitting the service line.

So the ball travels along a straight line between the upper point of the net and the service line, 20 ft away. What is the angle of the trajectory with the horizontal?

ehild

how would i go about finding the trajectory with the horizontal?

i think i got it now v^2=vo^2 +2-g(y-yo) vf=0m/s vi=? y=0 yo=2ft g=9.8?

Read the problem text again.

ehild

i did, how do i find a tracetory angle?

The problem says it travels in essentially a straight line from the start until the net, so the path lies directly along the horizontal. What then is the angle between the path and the horizontal?

0? if its linear then it has to be 0?

Yes, that's right. This problem seems rather odd though -- it's implying that it travels in a straight line and then suddenly starts to fall. If the problem is exactly as you typed it though, then an angle of 0 is the implied answer.

thats exactly what he wrote i didn't change anything, b) so now we consider the height of the ball being struck
v^2=vo^2 +2-g(y-yo) y=0 landing of the ball in the y direction?

Okay, but then you don't have either the initial or final velocities, and since the trajectory of the ball is atypical, your typical equations won't work unless you look at the path in intervals. Just looking at the straight line path from the start to the net, you have the final y as 2 feet, and y doesn't change over that path, so what is the starting y (the height from which the ball is hit)?

yeah your right the equations are not going to work. but if we are only considering the object in the y direction. I am unsure what to do next, this guy never teaches the math in class just talks about definitions something we can simply read at home.
why is the service lime 20ft, and baseline 30ft mentioned in the problem is that to trick us? or used as sin(0), cos (0)

jackarms said:
The problem says it travels in essentially a straight line from the start until the net, so the path lies directly along the horizontal. What then is the angle between the path and the horizontal?

I don't follow. Just because it travels in a straight line doesn't mean the path has to be horizontal... just straight, right?

This is the diagram I would draw. Only needs basic trig to work out the angle and H. You could also work out H using the law of similar triangles.

Attachments

• Tennis.jpg
    Tennis.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 364
Likes 1 person
yea that makes more sense c watters

Ah yes, my bad. I glossed over the word "service" and just thought the ball was being hit somehow. I think that diagram is the best way to interpret the problem. So I guess it ended up being more geometry than anything...

so for the tan-1(2/20) of the little triangle be the same as theta of the whole triangle?

the angle is (.1) very small

i got 5.1 as the height

Check the angle. I got 5.7 degrees and exactly 5 ft for the height.

Tan^-1(2/20)=5.7

H=(2/20) * 50 = 5 using the similar triangles rule

Just for completeness this is how the similar triangles rule works...

The angle is the same for the small and large triangle so:

Tan(θ) = 2/20
Tan(θ) = H/50

2/20 = H/50

H = (2/20) * 50 = 5ft

Related to What are the steps to finding the angle and height for a tennis serve?

1. What is the "Tennis problem unsolvable"?

The "Tennis problem unsolvable" refers to a mathematical puzzle that involves determining the optimal way to schedule a tennis tournament with a set number of players and courts. The goal is to minimize the number of days needed to complete the tournament while ensuring that each player plays against every other player exactly once.

2. Why is the "Tennis problem unsolvable" considered unsolvable?

The "Tennis problem unsolvable" is considered unsolvable because it falls under the category of an "NP-hard" problem in computer science, meaning that it is impossible to find a solution in a reasonable amount of time as the number of players and courts increases. It is also proven to be impossible to find a general formula or algorithm to solve the problem for any given number of players and courts.

3. Has anyone been able to solve the "Tennis problem unsolvable"?

No, the "Tennis problem unsolvable" remains unsolved and has been a topic of interest for mathematicians and computer scientists since the 1920s. However, there have been some breakthroughs in finding optimal solutions for specific cases, such as a prime number of players or a specific number of courts.

4. What are some real-world applications of the "Tennis problem unsolvable"?

The "Tennis problem unsolvable" has real-world applications in various scheduling and optimization problems, such as sports tournaments, conference scheduling, and transportation planning. It can also be used to study and analyze the complexity of algorithms and computational problems.

5. Are there any potential solutions or approaches to the "Tennis problem unsolvable"?

While finding a general solution to the "Tennis problem unsolvable" is proven to be impossible, there are various approaches and techniques that can help find optimal solutions for specific cases. These include genetic algorithms, simulated annealing, and other heuristic methods. However, these solutions are not guaranteed to be optimal or efficient for all instances of the problem.