What are the steps to solve an equation with logarithms on both sides?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with logarithms and providing steps they have taken so far. They are stuck on the equation log3(x-1)=log8(x+1) and need an explanation in simple terms. The expert has provided a solution for x, which is -1.
kalistella
Hi

I need some help!

Doing A'level logarithms and am stuck.:rolleyes:

log3(x-1)=log8(x+1)

So far, I have done these steps...
(x-1)log3=(x+1)log8
xlog3-log3=xlog8+log8
xlog3-xlog8-log3-log8

Not sure what to do next to get the solution for x. Everything I do gets the wrong answer. I need an explanation in simple terms!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
kalistella said:
Hi

I need some help!

Doing A'level logarithms and am stuck.:rolleyes:

log3(x-1)=log8(x+1)
Do you mean log(3(x-1)), log3(x-1) or log 3x-1?
(If you can't do subscripts or superscripts, use log_3(x-1) or log 3^(x-1).)

So far, I have done these steps...
(x-1)log3=(x+1)log8
Okay, it must be log(3x-1)= log(8x+1)

xlog3-log3=xlog8+log8
xlog3-xlog8-log3-log8
Whoops, what happened to the "="?? I assume you meant
xlog(3)- xlog(8)= log(8)- log(3)

Not sure what to do next to get the solution for x. Everything I do gets the wrong answer. I need an explanation in simple terms!

Any help greatly appreciated!
xlog(3)- xlog(8)= log(8)- log(3)
x(log(3)- log(8))= log(8)- log(3)
x= (log(8)- log(3))/(log(3)- log(8))

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello! Logarithms can definitely be tricky, but don't worry, I'm here to help. Let's break down the steps you've already taken and see where you may have gone wrong.

First, you correctly used the property of logarithms that states log(a^b) = blog(a). This means that you can rewrite log3(x-1) as (x-1)log3 and log8(x+1) as (x+1)log8.

Next, you multiplied both sides by log3 and log8, which is also correct. This gives you the equation xlog3 - log3 = xlog8 + log8.

But here is where you may have made a mistake. When you have an equation with logarithms on both sides, you can't just subtract them like you would with regular numbers. Instead, you need to use the logarithm property log(a) + log(b) = log(ab).

So, let's apply this property to your equation. We can rewrite xlog3 - log3 as log3(x^x) and xlog8 + log8 as log8(x^x). This gives us the equation log3(x^x) = log8(x^x).

Now, we can use the property of logarithms again, log(a) = log(b) if and only if a = b. This means that since both sides of our equation have the same argument (x^x), we can set them equal to each other.

So, we have x^x = x^x. This may seem like we haven't made any progress, but it actually means that any value of x will satisfy this equation. So, the solution for x can be any real number.

I hope this explanation helps you understand logarithms a bit better. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged, you'll get the hang of it!

Related to What are the steps to solve an equation with logarithms on both sides?

What are logarithms used for?

Logarithms are used to solve exponential equations, compare large numbers, and simplify complex calculations. They are commonly used in fields such as finance, engineering, and statistics.

How do I solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation and use the inverse operation of exponentiation to solve for the variable. Remember that logarithms are the inverse of exponents, so if you have log base a of x, you can rewrite it as a^x = x.

What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms have a base of e, which is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.71828. Common logarithms have a base of 10. Both types of logarithms are useful for different purposes and can be converted to each other using the change of base formula.

Can you explain the properties of logarithms?

There are several properties of logarithms that can help simplify calculations. The product property states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient property states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. The power property states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of the power and the logarithm of the number.

How do I graph logarithmic functions?

To graph a logarithmic function, first determine the vertical and horizontal asymptotes by setting the argument of the logarithm equal to 0 and finding the x-value where the function is undefined. Then, plot several points by choosing x-values and solving for the corresponding y-values. Finally, connect the points to create a smooth curve. Remember that logarithmic functions have a domain of positive numbers and a range of all real numbers.