What Are the Tensions in the Strings?

• Thread starter Masrat_A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
Hang on. You set up the equations with the subscript 1 for the string attached to the wall. But then you solve for T2, the tension in the ceiling string. You got the equations right but solved them wrong. You should redo the calculations with the subscripts the other way around.In summary, using the given angles and object mass, the tensions in the strings attached to the wall and ceiling can be calculated using trigonometric equations. The final values for T1 and T2 are 30.084N and 39.9103N, respectively.
Masrat_A

Homework Statement

In Figure 5, the two strings attached to the mass are fixed to the ceiling and the wall, respectively. Determine the tensions in the strings.

Figure: http://i.imgur.com/jbTo1Nnh.jpg

Homework Equations

Please look below.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ceiling ##= 37^o##
Wall ##= 137^o##
Object ##= 5 kg##

##F_t = F_g##
##F_t = Mg##
##F_t = 5 * 10##
##F_t = 50N##

Ceiling
##F_1 = 50cos37^o##
##F_1 = 40N##

Wall
##F_1 = 50sin137^o##
##F_1 = 34N##

Does this look reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of problems:
  • The diagram says the angle between the wall string and the horizontal is 137 degrees, which is obtuse, yet it is an acute angle.
  • The solution uses the symbol ##F_1##, which is undefined.
In the free body diagram, using ##T_c## and ##T_w## for the tension in the ceiling and wall strings respectively, and ##T_{c,x},T_{w,x}## for the horizontal components and ##T_{c,y},T_{w,y}## for the vertical components, you need to write out formulas for each of those four components in terms of ##T_c,T_w## and the two angles.
Then write two equations, one to require the total of all vertical (##y##) components to be zero, and the other for the horizontal (##x##) components.

You will have two unknowns: ##T_c,T_w## and two equations, so you can solve them.

andrewkirk said:
The diagram says the angle between the wall string and the horizontal is 137 degrees, which is obtuse, yet it is an acute angle.

I don't have much trigonometry background, unfortunately; could you please expand on this a little more? Does this mean I cannot be using sine, and if not, what would you recommend me to do?

andrewkirk said:
The solution uses the symbol ##F_1##, which is undefined.

In the free body diagram, using ##T_c## and ##T_w## for the tension in the ceiling and wall strings respectively, and ##T_{c,x},T_{w,x}## for the horizontal components and ##T_{c,y},T_{w,y}## for the vertical components, you need to write out formulas for each of those four components in terms of ##T_c,T_w## and the two angles.
Then write two equations, one to require the total of all vertical (##y##) components to be zero, and the other for the horizontal (##x##) components.

You will have two unknowns: ##T_c,T_w## and two equations, so you can solve them.

Could you please explain to me what the formulas for x and y would be? Afterward, in what way shall I set the vertical and horizontal components to zero?

Masrat_A said:
I don't have much trigonometry background, unfortunately; could you please expand on this a little more? Does this mean I cannot be using sine, and if not, what would you recommend me to do?
From the figure, it looks to me like the angle is 37 degrees, not 137 degrees. I think what is being interpreted as a "1" is actually the angle indicator - the same as is the case in Figure 1.

Likes Nidum
TomHart said:
From the figure, it looks to me like the angle is 37 degrees, not 137 degrees. I think what is being interpreted as a "1" is actually the angle indicator - the same as is the case in Figure 1.

Would this then allow me to use cosine on the angle?

upload_2017-9-11_21-1-2.png

Yes . . Both angles seem to be the same at 37 degrees .

andrewkirk said:

Would these be the vertical and horizontal components for ##T_c## and ##T_w##?

##T_{c,x} = 50cos{37} = 39.93##
##T_{c,y} = 50cos{37} = 30.09##

##T_{w,x} = 50cos{37} = 39.93##
##T_{w,y} = 50cos{37} = 30.09##

andrewkirk said:
Then write two equations, one to require the total of all vertical (##y##) components to be zero, and the other for the horizontal (##x##) components. You will have two unknowns: ##T_c,T_w## and two equations, so you can solve them.

I'm still a little confused on this however. Could you please expand on it a little more?

Masrat_A said:
Would these be the vertical and horizontal components for ##T_c## and ##T_w##?

##T_{c,x} = 50cos{37} = 39.93##
##T_{c,y} = 50cos{37} = 30.09##

##T_{w,x} = 50cos{37} = 39.93##
##T_{w,y} = 50cos{37} = 30.09##
?
No. By what law of physics do you get those equations?

If the overall tension in the ceiling attachment is Tc, what is its horizontal component?
What horizontal forces act on the mass? For equilibrium, what equation can you write?

I'm sorry; I misinterpreted what was written on my textbook. Upon further inspection, here is what I have ended up with so far. Do any of these seem right?

For the string attached to the wall, our degree is 37; there is a 90 degree angle formed by the dotted lines in our figure above, and 37 subtracted from 90 gives us 53.

##T_1cos37^o = T_2cos53^o##
##T_1sin37^o+T_2sin53^o = Fg##

##Fg = Mg##
##Fg = 5 * 10##
##Fg = 50##

##T_2 = T_1cos37^o/cos53^o##
##T_2 = 1.327T_1##

##T_1sin37^o+(1.327T_1)sin53^o = 50##
##T_1(sin37^o+1.327*sin53^o) = 50##
##1.662T_1 = 50##
##T_1 = 30.084##

##(30.084)cos37^o = T_2cos53^o##
##24.026 = T_2(0.602)##
##T_2 = 39.9103##

##T_1 = 30.084N##
##T_2 = 39.9103N##

Masrat_A said:
I'm sorry; I misinterpreted what was written on my textbook. Upon further inspection, here is what I have ended up with so far. Do any of these seem right?

For the string attached to the wall, our degree is 37; there is a 90 degree angle formed by the dotted lines in our figure above, and 37 subtracted from 90 gives us 53.

##T_1cos37^o = T_2cos53^o##
##T_1sin37^o+T_2sin53^o = Fg##

##Fg = Mg##
##Fg = 5 * 10##
##Fg = 50##

##T_2 = T_1cos37^o/cos53^o##
##T_2 = 1.327T_1##

##T_1sin37^o+(1.327T_1)sin53^o = 50##
##T_1(sin37^o+1.327*sin53^o) = 50##
##1.662T_1 = 50##
##T_1 = 30.084##

##(30.084)cos37^o = T_2cos53^o##
##24.026 = T_2(0.602)##
##T_2 = 39.9103##

##T_1 = 30.084N##
##T_2 = 39.9103N##
Yes, except you haven't said which is T1 and which T2.

Oh, I'm sorry. T1 is the ceiling, and T2 is our wall.

Masrat_A said:
Oh, I'm sorry. T1 is the ceiling, and T2 is our wall.
Which would you expect to have the greater tension?

I would imagine the ceiling to have greater tension.

Masrat_A said:
I would imagine the ceiling to have greater tension.
So what do you think you might have done wrong?

haruspex said:
So what do you think you might have done wrong?

Perhaps I've gotten the degrees the other way?

Masrat_A said:
Perhaps I've gotten the degrees the other way?
So let's check your first equation in post #9, the horizontal balance of forces. What is the horizontal component of T1?

Should it have been ##T_1 = vcosϴ## rather than ##T_1 = cosϴ##? I apologize; I'm having a very tough time pinpoint precisely what went wrong.

Masrat_A said:
Should it have been ##T_1 = vcosϴ## rather than ##T_1 = cosϴ##? I apologize; I'm having a very tough time pinpoint precisely what went wrong.
Neither of those suggestions make sense. A component of T1 would be T1 multiplied by the sine or cosine of some angle. Previously you multiplied it by cos(37°). Was that right?

No, that was not right. I feel like I'm understanding what's happening here. In our figure, ##T_1##, which is attached to the wall, is stated to be ##37^o##. Between both strings, there is a ##180^o## angle; therefore, ##T_1##, our ceiling, would be ##180 - 37 - 53 - 37 = 53^o##.

##T_1cos53^o = T_2cos37^o##
##T_1sin53^o+T_2sin37^o = Fg##

##Fg = Mg##
##Fg = 5 * 10##
##Fg = 50##

##T_2 = T_1cos53^o/cos37^o##
##T_2 = 0.754T_1##

##T_1sin53^o+(0.754T_1)sin37^o = 50##
##T_1(sin53^o+0.754*sin37^o) = 50##
##1.252T_1 = 50##
##T_1 = 39.936##

##(39.936)cos53^o = T_2cos37^o##
##24.034 = T_2(0.799)##
##T_2 = 30.080##

##T_1 = 39.936N##
##T_2 = 30.080N##

That's it!

Related to What Are the Tensions in the Strings?

What is the tension of a string?

The tension of a string is the force applied to the string that causes it to vibrate or stretch. It is measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds-force (lbf).

How is the tension of a string calculated?

The tension of a string can be calculated using the formula T = (F * L)/d, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, L is the length of the string, and d is the density of the string.

What factors affect the tension of a string?

The tension of a string can be affected by several factors, including the force applied to the string, the length and thickness of the string, and the material and density of the string.

How does the tension of a string affect the sound produced?

The tension of a string is directly related to the pitch and volume of the sound produced. Increasing the tension of a string will increase the pitch and volume, while decreasing the tension will decrease the pitch and volume.

What are some practical applications of understanding the tensions of strings?

Understanding the tensions of strings is important in various fields such as music, engineering, and physics. It allows for the design and construction of musical instruments, bridges, and other structures that rely on the principles of tension and vibration. It also helps in understanding the behavior of materials under stress and strain.