What are the top features of the Samsung Galaxy S3?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, Jameson is debating between an iPhone4s and an Android phone after returning to the US without a cell phone for 2 years. After researching, he believes Android is the clear choice but is interested in others' opinions. Other users suggest HTC Sensation, Sony Ericsson Hazel, and Nokia 6680, but Jameson is also considering the 4G options and customizability of Android.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I just got back to the States and haven't had a cell phone here for 2 years. I'm sort of debating between an iPhone4s and an Android based phone. After doing some research I feel like the Android is the clear choice but was curious as to what others though about these two options or other choices in general.

Jameson

Computer science news on Phys.org
Jameson said:
I just got back to the States and haven't had a cell phone here for 2 years. I'm sort of debating between an iPhone4s and an Android based phone. After doing some research I feel like the Android is the clear choice but was curious as to what others though about these two options or other choices in general.

Jameson

I have an HTC Sensation. I love it and would never get an iPhone.
I have Europes test build of Ice Cream Sandwich with a custom kernel.
As well as the Sony Bravia Engine which enhances the video.
Also, my phone can last on battery for up to 50hours depending no use with the standard battery. If I bought the Anker 1900, I could probably get up to 80 hours of use. This includes playing games on it too.

Just Googled your phone and it looks great. Do you use any of the voice assistant programs? So far I've read about "speaktoit" and "Vlingo", both of which seem better than Siri. The only problem with Vlingo is that you can't set appointments or reminders yet. Anyway, I think I'll be getting a 4G Android phone because the 3G and 4G rates are the same per month!

Jameson said:
Just Googled your phone and it looks great. Do you use any of the voice assistant programs? So far I've read about "speaktoit" and "Vlingo", both of which seem better than Siri. The only problem with Vlingo is that you can't set appointments or reminders yet. Anyway, I think I'll be getting a 4G Android phone because the 3G and 4G rates are the same per month!

I don't use speak assist. The only time I need it is for my GPS when driving but that is built into it.
So I haven't downloaded any of those other programs.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1109

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

I have also used the Galaxy S2 but I don't like the camera on that phone as much. With a custom ROM and kernel, the Sensation can out bench it even when it isn't overclocked.

Plus, you can get beats audio on the phone too.

I've tried the X2 and liked it but I'll be looking at others. I will definitely be checking out the Sensation. Thanks for the tip!

Jameson said:

Jameson

I've been trying to get rid of my phone for the last couple of years, but my wife will not let me.

Don't do it! Stay disconnected!

Be a hero.

I have an HTC Desire S (Inlove) and it's much sleeker (and cheaper!) than the iPhone.

I have the original HTC Desire running an unstable* edition of Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS). I would never get an iPhone because I abhor Apple's walled garden philosophy and Androids are cheaper and more customisable in my experience.
If you do get an Android make sure it's one that is easily rooted and has a decent number of developers, the android release cycle is very quick and phones about 18 months old (like mine) will not officially get ICS

* Actually stable enough for day to day use.

Here is my battery life
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/96

mine is Sony Ericson hazel 20 j
I had Nokia 6680

Swlabr said:
I've been trying to get rid of my phone for the last couple of years, but my wife will not let me.

Don't do it! Stay disconnected!

Be a hero.

I admit at first it felt nice being "off the grid" in this way. People can't change plans on you at the last minute and if they want to talk to you they have to make an effort and call your house phone, but lately it's been a bit of an annoyance. I don't want to be one of those people who looks at their phone for 95% of the day either so I will hopefully maintain a nice balance. Why do you want to be disconnected?

@dwsmith - Charge your phone! :)

dwsmith said:
Here is my battery life
<snip>

You lucky barstool (Bandit). I usually get about 24 hours from my battery.

Jameson said:

Jameson

Get the 4S...that way, we can facetime whenever we want (except we haven't seen each other faces yet...so that may not be in order until we break the ice in that regards)! XD

So yea...I have the iPhone 4 (got it over a year ago...the 32GB one)...and I've been pretty satisfied with it (except for the fact that it doesn't (Swearing) support flash!). I qualify for an upgrade at the end of May, so I may either go for a 4S (because who wouldn't want to talk to Siri!??!) or go back to my previous brand -- the

[sp]...wait for it...[sp]Blackberry. So I may end going with the Torch when all is said and done...we'll see...[/sp][/sp]

Last edited:
Chris L T521 said:
Get the 4S...that way, we can facetime whenever we want (except we haven't seen each other faces yet...so that may not be in order until we break the ice in that regards)! XD

So yea...I have the iPhone 4 (got it over a year ago...the 32GB one)...and I've been pretty satisfied with it (except for the fact that it doesn't (Swearing) support flash!). I qualify for an upgrade at the end of May, so I may either go for a 4S (because who wouldn't want to talk to Siri!??!) or go back to my previous brand -- the

[sp]...wait for it...[sp]Blackberry. So I may end going with the Torch when all is said and done...we'll see...[/sp][/sp]

Why buy the iPhone4? It is labeled a 4 but is only 3G. Buy a man's phone an android that is 4G that can be customized. Oh and the fact that Android phones just dominate.

dwsmith said:
Why buy the iPhone4? It is labeled a 4 but is only 3G. Buy a man's phone an android that is 4G that can be customized. Oh and the fact that Android phones just dominate.

I'm not all for android. To be honest, I prefer Blackberry over all the other brands.

Just bought an Android, sorry Chris :( I paid $199 for it so it was the same price as the 16GB iPhone4S but when I looked at all the options, the Android phone was the obvious choice. The screen is way bigger and has higher resolution than the iPhone, plus the customizations are endless. We can still chat using any number of programs, like Google Talk or Skype. I get unlimited data on the 4G network. I've been playing with my new phone all night. I really don't want to get into the habit of looking at my phone most of the day like others I see though...

Jameson said:
Just bought an Android, sorry Chris :( I paid $199 for it so it was the same price as the 16GB iPhone4S but when I looked at all the options, the Android phone was the obvious choice. The screen is way bigger and has higher resolution than the iPhone, plus the customizations are endless. We can still chat using any number of programs, like Google Talk or Skype. I get unlimited data on the 4G network. I've been playing with my new phone all night. I really don't want to get into the habit of looking at my phone most of the day like others I see though...

You made the right choice. Which phone did you get?

Verizon Spectrum. I love it. A lot of Android phones are really similar so my choice came down to screen resolution, which is amazing.

In my opinion android mobiles are best and they are best because of the android market It provides almost all types of application.

Android >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Apple

Moo said:
Android >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Apple

Apple is a product for the masses not the exceptions. The average consumer doesn't know how to actually do anything with their phones. Whereas consumers of Android have more technically know how and exploit it to their advantage.

I am an apple guy to some extent as I use a MacBook but after about a month with my Android phone I have to say that I love it. Now, if only I could root the phone then I could get rid of all this bloatware! Who wants to have a Blockbuster app?!

Jameson said:
Who wants to have a Blockbuster app?!

They still exist?! XD

Jameson said:
I am an apple guy to some extent as I use a MacBook but after about a month with my Android phone I have to say that I love it. Now, if only I could root the phone then I could get rid of all this bloatware! Who wants to have a Blockbuster app?!

What kind of Android is it?

LG Spectrum. It runs the Android the version before ICS. I've found a way to root it online but it's fairly new so I don't want to mess with it until it's been long confirmed to work. Did you root your phone?

@Chris L T521 - That's exactly what I thought when I saw it on my phone!

Jameson said:
LG Spectrum. It runs the Android the version before ICS. I've found a way to root it online but it's fairly new so I don't want to mess with it until it's been long confirmed to work. Did you root your phone?

@Chris L T521 - That's exactly what I thought when I saw it on my phone!

http://www.techzek.com/how-to-root-lg-spectrum-vs920-android-phone/

Jameson said:
That's something similar to what I saw last month, but if you look at the comments on that page all of them say it didn't work. Did you root your phone?

Yeah mine is but I have the HTC Sensation. How old is your phone? Also, since you are on Verizon, there aren't many developers because they are CDMA. Since most of world is GSM, that is where the developers are at.

I bought my phone brand new so it's a month old. I wasn't happy to hear about it being only CDMA compatible as most of Europe uses GSM, specifically Russia. It would have been nice to pop in a new SIM card anytime I wanted and use the same phone but oh well. I'm doing some more reading about rooting this phone. Anyway, besides getting rid of the bloatware have you used your full admin rights on your phone for anything interesting? I've read there's lots of things you can do but nothing really specific.

Jameson said:
I bought my phone brand new so it's a month old. I wasn't happy to hear about it being only CDMA compatible as most of Europe uses GSM, specifically Russia. It would have been nice to pop in a new SIM card anytime I wanted and use the same phone but oh well. I'm doing some more reading about rooting this phone. Anyway, besides getting rid of the bloatware have you used your full admin rights on your phone for anything interesting? I've read there's lots of things you can do but nothing really specific.

I can force 2D hardware acceleration, overclock and underclock my CPU and GPU, tether my phone for free, removed tracking software, using the latest ICS ROM even though it hasn't been released for my phone yet, and undervolt my CPU.

dwsmith said:
I can force 2D hardware acceleration, overclock and underclock my CPU and GPU, tether my phone for free, removed tracking software, using the latest ICS ROM even though it hasn't been released for my phone yet, and undervolt my CPU.

I would like to update to ICS and remove tracking software for sure. Will look into rooting more. :) Your list makes it sound much more appealing.

I have just got samsung galaxy S3 and I must say its not a phone it has the whole world in it, The features it have is the best in this segment, Here are some of its specicications-
weight - 133
External memory - 16 GB
Camera - 8 Megapixel
OS - Android OS, v4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

FAQ: What are the top features of the Samsung Galaxy S3?

1. What factors do you consider when choosing a mobile phone?

When choosing a mobile phone, I consider factors such as the operating system, processor speed, camera quality, battery life, and storage capacity.

2. Which mobile phone brand do you think is the best?

There is no one "best" mobile phone brand as it ultimately depends on personal preference and needs. Some popular brands include Apple, Samsung, Google, and Huawei.

3. How often do you upgrade your mobile phone?

I typically upgrade my mobile phone every 2-3 years. However, the frequency of upgrades may vary based on individual usage and budget.

4. Do you prefer a contract or a pay-as-you-go plan for your mobile phone?

I prefer a pay-as-you-go plan for my mobile phone as it allows me to have more control over my usage and expenses. However, a contract plan may be more suitable for those who use their phone frequently and require a set amount of data and minutes each month.

5. How do you protect your mobile phone from security threats?

I protect my mobile phone from security threats by regularly updating my software, using strong and unique passwords, avoiding suspicious links and apps, and using a reliable antivirus software. I also make sure to back up my important data in case of any unforeseen incidents.