What are the top graduate programs for mathematics?

In summary: I'm leaning towards UIC at this point. In summary, there are many schools with excellent math programs. You need to decide where you want to spend the next few years of your life and then look at schools in that region.
Saint Medici
This doesn't really classify as a homework question, but this is the best place I could think of to post this. My apologies if I am in the wrong.

I'm planning on continuing my math education all the way through the doctorate level. However, at the moment, I have only the barest of ideas as to which schools have a good graduate program in math. And I have absolutely no clue as to which schools have excellent math programs. I figured that this was pretty much one of the best communities to pose my question to. Can anyone give me some information? Cost is secondary at the moment; for now (and for some time to come), I'm just window-shopping.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should first tell people where you are now...I don't mean that i can help you, but if I can, I sure will...

Oops, I knew I forgot something. I'm in the US, so anywhere in this country would be preferable, but I'm still open to overseas options.

In all honesty, there's a school in just about every state with an excellent math program. You need to decide where you wnat to spend the next few years of your life and then look at schools in that region.

here'd be my list:

University of Michigan(current alma matter)
University of California-Berkeley
University of Chicago
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
California Institute of Technology
University of California-Los Angeles
University of Hawaii Manoa(I wnet here for a couple of semesters--love Hawaii)
Wayne State University

They are in order BTW. Though I'm chasing an ME this time around I know the above all have good to excellent math programs. UH Manoa probably is on the good side but the location is superior to any other.

here'd be my list:
University of Michigan(current alma matter)
University of Hawaii Manoa(I wnet here for a couple of semesters

How conveeeenient. :smile:

lol Yeah I know... Manoa still has a good program as does Michigan. UIC, and UC Berkely are probably a little better though.

FAQ: What are the top graduate programs for mathematics?

What is a math graduate program?

A math graduate program is a program of study at the graduate level that focuses on advanced mathematics, including topics such as analysis, algebra, geometry, and topology. It typically involves coursework, research, and a capstone project or thesis.

What are the requirements for admission into a math graduate program?

The specific requirements may vary between programs, but most math graduate programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, and a competitive GPA. Many programs also require applicants to take the GRE subject test in mathematics.

What career opportunities are available with a math graduate degree?

A math graduate degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including roles in academia, research, government, finance, and technology. Graduates may also pursue careers in data analysis, actuarial science, and consulting.

How long does it typically take to complete a math graduate program?

The length of a math graduate program can vary depending on the specific program and whether a student is pursuing a master's or doctoral degree. On average, a master's program can take 2-3 years to complete, while a doctoral program can take 4-6 years.

Are there any specific skills or prerequisites required for a math graduate program?

While each program may have its own specific requirements, some common skills and prerequisites for a math graduate program include a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. It is also helpful to have strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.