What Are the Turning Points in Alpha Decay Potential Barrier?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of a nuclei with atomic number Z, into an alpha particle and a daughter nucleus. This decay is caused by the tunneling of the alpha particle through a potential barrier caused by the Coulomb potential between the daughter and alpha particles. The probability of transmission is proportional to e^{{-2* \int_a^b \sqrt{\frac{2m(V(r)-E)}{\hbar }} \,dr }}, and the turning points can be calculated by setting the potential equal to the energy of the system.
arierreF

Homework Statement

A nuclei of a atomic number Z decays into a alpha particle (a He nucleus with Z =2) and a daughter nucleus with [itex](Z_{d}[/itex]).
The decay may be described as the tunneling of an alpha-particle through a barrier caused by the Coulomb potential between the daughter and the alpha-particle.

The potential is: [itex] V(r) = \frac{1}{4\piε_{0}}\frac{2Z_{d}e^{2}}{r} [/itex]
Knowing that the probability of transmission , T, is proportional to

[itex] T \propto e^{{-2* \int_a^b \sqrt{\frac{2m(V(r)-E)}{\hbar }} \,dr }} [/itex]

Calculate the turning points, [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].
Notes: The diagram for the potential barrier is shown inf the link:
https://www.google.pt/search?q=alph...taneous_Decay_Processes_-_Alpha_Decay;624;354Im stuck in this problem. I know that i can calculate the turning points at V(r) = E(r), but i do not have E(r). Can u give me a tip for solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the second turning point doing the following:

E(r_{2})=V(r_{2})

so

[itex] V(r_{2}) = \frac{1}{4\piε_{0}}\frac{2Z_{d}e^{2}}{r_{2}} [/itex]

then we [itex]r_{2} = \frac{1}{4\piε_{0}}\frac{2Z_{d}e^{2}}{E(r_{2})}[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to What Are the Turning Points in Alpha Decay Potential Barrier?

1. What is alpha decay potential barrier?

The alpha decay potential barrier is the energy barrier that an alpha particle must overcome in order to escape from the nucleus of an atom.

2. How is the alpha decay potential barrier calculated?

The alpha decay potential barrier is calculated using the semi-empirical formula known as the Gamow factor, which takes into account the mass and charge of the particles involved as well as the Coulomb force between them.

3. What factors affect the alpha decay potential barrier?

The alpha decay potential barrier is affected by the nuclear mass, the atomic number, and the nuclear spin of the parent nucleus, as well as the mass and charge of the alpha particle.

4. What is the relationship between the alpha decay potential barrier and the half-life of a radioactive element?

The alpha decay potential barrier and the half-life of a radioactive element are inversely proportional. This means that a higher alpha decay potential barrier leads to a longer half-life, as it takes more time for the alpha particle to overcome the energy barrier and escape from the nucleus.

5. Can the alpha decay potential barrier be manipulated?

No, the alpha decay potential barrier is a fundamental property of the nucleus and cannot be manipulated or changed by external factors.

Back