What Are the Two Types of Threshold Voltage (Vth) in MOSFETs?

• Thread starter KrNx2Oh7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary, when simulating a voltage sweep on a MOSFET, there are two types of Vth to consider: saturation and linear. In linear region, the Id-Vg curve will always be linear, while in saturation it will be squared. In experiment, it may be difficult to determine the regions without prior knowledge of Vth, but it can be approximated through multiple iterations. Vth is typically a constant parameter, but in more complex models it may be dependent on Vg.
KrNx2Oh7
So apparently there are two types of Vth for a MOSFET
http://www.sdram-technology.info/threshold-voltage-measurement.html

How can I tell the saturation apart from linear?

Right now I am simulating a voltage sweep (on the Gate) of a transistor and the sim results give a saturation and a linear Vth. Now from what I understand saturation depends on whether the drain is higher than the gate by the threshold voltage. So how am I suppose to know if my drain voltage of -0.1V is higher than the Gate voltage by the threshold if my gate voltage is changing?

And my most general question...does Vth change with Gate voltage?

edit: Source is at 0V, and this is a pchannel mosfet

Engineering news on Phys.org
I want to re-frame your question correctly,
How can I tell the saturation apart from linear, without prior knowledge of the Vth?

Well in simulation, Id-Vg in linear region will always be linear and in saturation it will be squared. So that's easy to tell.

In experiment, you may not know what's linear and what's saturation as you won't get perfect linear curve in linear region avoiding measurement errors. Here you have a guess of Vth and determine linear and saturation. Again take the result Vth as new guess and do the experiment. After two iterations, I think you will know the regions correctly.

Simple answer is no. Vth is defined as a constant parameter in simple models. However, in higher models in may be dependent of Vg. Also note that the part below Vth in Id-Vg graph will be exponential.

Related to What Are the Two Types of Threshold Voltage (Vth) in MOSFETs?

1. What is Vth in a MOSFET and why are there two types?

Vth, or threshold voltage, is the voltage at which a MOSFET switches from being in the off state to the on state. There are two types of Vth because MOSFETs can have different channel configurations, either n-type or p-type. The Vth for each type is determined by the dopant concentration in the channel region.

2. How do the two types of Vth affect MOSFET performance?

The two types of Vth can greatly impact the performance of a MOSFET. For example, a higher Vth can result in a slower switching speed and increased power consumption. Additionally, the two types of Vth can affect the threshold voltage for the opposite type of MOSFET, as they are connected in a complementary fashion in CMOS circuits.

3. How do you determine the Vth for a particular MOSFET?

The Vth for a MOSFET is determined by the fabrication process and the device structure. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and supply voltage. The Vth can be measured experimentally or calculated using device simulations.

4. What is the significance of Vth for circuit design?

Vth is a critical parameter in circuit design as it affects the overall performance and functionality of the circuit. It is used to determine the voltage levels required to turn the MOSFET on and off, and also plays a role in determining the gain and noise characteristics of the device.

5. Are there any trade-offs between the two types of Vth in MOSFETs?

Yes, there are trade-offs between the two types of Vth. A lower Vth results in a faster switching speed and lower power consumption, but can also lead to leakage current. On the other hand, a higher Vth can reduce leakage current but may result in slower switching speeds and higher power consumption. Circuit designers must carefully consider these trade-offs when selecting MOSFETs for their designs.