What are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions?

In summary, work is defined as the product of force and distance in the same direction, and is measured in joules. It can be calculated using the formula W = F x d or W = Fd cosθ. Work can be negative when the force and direction of motion are opposite, and it is directly related to the change in energy of the system.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

watch the image

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

make me understand the symbols like i^

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
alijan kk said:

Homework Statement

watch the image

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

make me understand the symbols like i^
##\hat i## , ##\hat j## , ##\hat k## are the unit vectors in the directions x, y, z.

Likes alijan kk

FAQ: What are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions?

What is the definition of work?

The scientific definition of work is the product of the force applied to an object and the distance it moves in the direction of that force. In other words, work is done when a force is exerted on an object and the object moves in the same direction as the force.

How is work measured?

Work is measured in units of joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). One joule is equal to the amount of work done when a force of one newton (N) is applied to an object and it moves one meter in the direction of the force.

What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents distance. This formula can also be written as W = Fd cosθ, where θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and the direction of motion are in opposite directions. In this case, the work done on the object is considered to be negative.

How does the amount of work done relate to the energy of the system?

The amount of work done on an object is directly related to the change in energy of the system. If work is done on an object, its energy will increase. If work is done by an object, its energy will decrease.