What Are the Values of c and d for This Precalculus Limit Problem?

• Thread starter Lennie Oswald
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary: Condition 1: If ##c = 0##, then the limit is 3, as the numerator and denominator are equal.Condition 2: If ##ce 0##, then the limit is 2 + h, as the numerator is 2 more than the denominator.In summary, c = 8, and d = -20.
Lennie Oswald

Homework Statement

limit as x approaches 2 of [ (x^2-cx+d)/(x^2-4) ] = 3. What is the value of c and d?

Homework Equations

Limits

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried cross multiplying to get (x^2 - cx + d) = 3x^2 - 12, and I was thinking of moving combining like terms and maybe factoring but I can't ever seem to get the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lennie Oswald said:

Homework Statement

limit as x approaches 2 of [ (x^2-cx+d)/(x^2-4) ] = 3. What is the value of c and d?

Homework Equations

Limits

I tried cross multiplying to get (x^2 - cx + d) = 3x^2 - 12, and I was thinking of moving combining like terms and maybe factoring but I can't ever seem to get the right answer.
The denominator factors into (x - 2)(x + 2). If you assume that the numerator also has a factor of either x + 2 or x - 2, what would the other factor have to be to result in a limit of 3? An educated guess or two will be helpful.

@Mark44
Just for curiosity, can we apply L' hospital's rule here, assuming the numerator to be 0 when x→2 ?

Molar said:
@Mark44
Just for curiosity, can we apply L' hospital's rule here, assuming the numerator to be 0 when x→2 ?
I didn't think of doing that, but it seems to work. That technique wouldn't be available in a precalculus setting, which is what I assumed by where you the OP posted the question.

Last edited:
Likes Molar
Mark44 said:
I didn't think of doing that, but it seems to work. That technique wouldn't be available in a precalculus setting, which is what I assumed by where you posted the question.
(@Molar isn't OP.)

Mark44 said:
The denominator factors into (x - 2)(x + 2). If you assume that the numerator also has a factor of either x + 2 or x - 2, what would the other factor have to be to result in a limit of 3? An educated guess or two will be helpful.
I tried that but I want to know how to solve it algebraically.

Lennie Oswald said:
I tried that but I want to know how to solve it algebraically.
I don't think that's possible.

In the limit, the denominator ##x^2 - 4## goes to 0 as x → 2.

Cross multiplying means that you are multiplying the RHS by zero as well, leaving ##x^2 - cx + d = 0##, for which there can be an infinite number o' solutions.

Evaluating limit expressions sometimes takes subtlety, where applying algebra will fail or mislead you.

SteamKing said:
I don't think that's possible.

In the limit, the denominator ##x^2 - 4## goes to 0 as x → 2.

Cross multiplying means that you are multiplying the RHS by zero as well, leaving ##x^2 - cx + d = 0##, for which there can be an infinite number o' solutions.

Evaluating limit expressions sometimes takes subtlety, where applying algebra will fail or mislead you.
Thanks! I ended up getting c = 8 and d = -20

Mark44 said:
Thanks for your help!

Lennie Oswald said:
Thanks! I ended up getting c = 8 and d = -20
I get a different sign for one of those.

Lennie Oswald said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Limits

It is easiest to substitute ##x = 2 + h## in both the numerator and denominator. Your ratio must make sense as ##h \to 0##, and the limit must = 3. That gives you two conditions involving the two parameters ##c, d##.

FAQ: What Are the Values of c and d for This Precalculus Limit Problem?

What is precalculus and why is it important?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that prepares students for calculus. It covers topics such as functions, graphs, trigonometry, and algebraic manipulation. It is important because it provides the necessary foundation for students to understand and excel in calculus, which is a fundamental subject in many fields of science and engineering.

How can I get help with my precalculus homework?

There are several options for getting help with precalculus homework. You can consult your teacher or classmates, use online resources such as Khan Academy or MathHelp.com, or hire a tutor.

What are some common topics covered in precalculus homework?

Some common topics in precalculus homework include solving equations and inequalities, graphing and analyzing functions, trigonometry, complex numbers, and conic sections.

What are some tips for solving precalculus problems?

1. Understand the problem and identify what is being asked.2. Review any relevant formulas or concepts.3. Work through the problem step by step, showing all your work.4. Check your answer to ensure it makes sense and is accurate.5. Practice regularly to improve your skills.

How can I prepare for precalculus exams?

1. Review your class notes and textbook material regularly.2. Complete practice problems and quizzes.3. Work with a study group or tutor.4. Use online resources such as practice tests or video tutorials.5. Stay organized and manage your time effectively.