What Are the Values of Electron, Hole, and Total Currents in P-Type Silicon?

In summary: Using these values, we can calculate the electron and hole currents in the external circuit, as well as the total current, which is 1mA.
hogrampage

Homework Statement

A 1-cm cube of p-type silicon (ρ = 0.1Ω-cm) acquires a linear electron distribution in the x-direction, such that n = 1014/cm3 at one side and n = 105/cm3 at the opposite side.

Wires are attached to the sides of the cube via ohmic contacts, and a 0.1mV voltage source is applied. Find the values of the electron, hole, and total currents that flow in the external circuit.

Homework Equations

ρ = R[itex]\frac{A}{L}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{E}{J}[/itex]
E = [itex]\frac{V}{L}[/itex]
Je = qnμeE + qDe[itex]\frac{dn}{dx}[/itex]

Jh = qpμhE + qDh[itex]\frac{dp}{dx}[/itex]
i = [itex]\frac{V}{R}[/itex]
n0p0 = n2i

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding R:

R = ρ[itex]\frac{L}{A}[/itex] = (0.1Ω-cm)[itex]\frac{(1cm)}{(1cm^{2})}[/itex] = 0.1Ω

Then, the total current is:

I = [itex]\frac{V}{R}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(0.1mV)}{(0.1Ω)}[/itex] = 1mA

p0 = [itex]\frac{n^{2}_{i}}{n_{0}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(1.5x10^{10})^{2}}{10^{14}}[/itex] = 225x104/cm3

p1 = [itex]\frac{n^{2}_{i}}{n_{1}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(1.5x10^{10})^{2}}{10^{5}}[/itex] = 225x1013/cm3

Now, [itex]\frac{dp}{dx}[/itex] = 225x1013/cm4 and [itex]\frac{dn}{dx}[/itex] = -1x1014/cm4, since dx = 1cm.

Which values would I use for n and p in the following equations, assuming the above steps are correct?

Je = qnμeE + qDe[itex]\frac{dn}{dx}[/itex]

Jh = qpμhE + qDh[itex]\frac{dp}{dx}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The values for n and p in the above equations would be n = 1014/cm3 and p = 105/cm3, as given in the problem statement. These values represent the electron and hole concentrations at the two opposite sides of the cube.

Related to What Are the Values of Electron, Hole, and Total Currents in P-Type Silicon?

1. What is p-type silicon?

P-type silicon is a type of semiconductor material that has been doped with impurities, specifically acceptor atoms such as boron, to create a majority of positively charged holes in the material. This creates a positively charged region, or p-type, within the silicon crystal structure.

2. How is current generated through p-type silicon?

Current is generated through p-type silicon when a potential difference, or voltage, is applied across the material. This causes the majority carriers, the positively charged holes, to move towards the negatively charged region, creating a flow of charge or current through the material.

3. What is the role of impurities in p-type silicon?

The impurities, specifically acceptor atoms, in p-type silicon play a crucial role in creating a majority of positively charged holes in the material. This allows for the generation of current when a voltage is applied across the material.

4. How does p-type silicon differ from n-type silicon?

P-type silicon differs from n-type silicon in terms of the majority carrier type. While p-type silicon has a majority of positively charged holes, n-type silicon has a majority of negatively charged electrons. This change in majority carrier type is achieved through the use of different impurities during the doping process.

5. What are some real-world applications of p-type silicon?

P-type silicon is commonly used in the production of diodes, transistors, and other electronic devices. It is also an important component in solar cells, where the movement of charge through p-type silicon is used to generate electricity from sunlight.

Back