What Are the Values of Young's Modulus and Poisson's Ratio for Sand?

In summary, the conversation involves a person requesting information on the Young's Modulus and Poisson's Ratio for sand, as well as the density of sand. They are also asking for a reference to online literature for calculating the energy of impact and energy loss of a spherical particle hitting a wall. The conversation also mentions the need for specific moisture content and coefficients of restitution.
ranaroy
dear all,

pls inform me the Young's modulus (in Pa) and Poisson's ration for sand. Pleae also inform the density of sand taken (as it affects the requested values).

many thanks in advance
kind regards,

rana

Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly do not see how you can have a Young's Modulus or Poisson's Ratio for a grain. The material not continuous.

Density would have to be specified with a specific moisture content as well.

What leads you to ask this question? Are you trying to calculate something?

sir,

yes, i am trying to calculate erosion caused by sand grain.

there are may literature data available for various tyoes of sand, and so i am confused.
i am using sand blown by air (maybe dry quicksand or something) at high velocities..

hope to get the values..a reference to online literature would also be helpful.

thank you.

energy of impact

dear all,

i would like to calculate the energy loss of a spherical particle after it hits the wall.
i know the pre- and post-impact velocties and the coefficients of restitution.

simple E = E1 = 1/2*m*u^2 is not enough.

can someone point me any exact references.

thanks in advance.

FAQ: What Are the Values of Young's Modulus and Poisson's Ratio for Sand?

What are physical variables?

Physical variables are measurable quantities that describe the characteristics and behavior of a physical system. Examples of physical variables include temperature, pressure, mass, velocity, and electric current.

Why are physical variables important?

Physical variables are important because they allow us to quantify and understand the world around us. They provide a way to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems, which is crucial for many scientific and engineering applications.

How do you measure physical variables?

The measurement of physical variables depends on the specific variable being measured. For example, temperature can be measured using a thermometer, pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge, and mass can be measured using a scale. In some cases, indirect methods may be used, such as using equations or mathematical models to calculate a physical variable.

What are some examples of physical variables in everyday life?

Physical variables are present in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, when cooking, we may use temperature and time as variables to determine when our food is ready. In driving, we use speed and distance as variables to calculate travel time. In sports, we use distance, time, and speed to measure performance. The list goes on!

How do physical variables relate to each other?

Physical variables can be related to each other in various ways, depending on the specific system being studied. For example, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its pressure. In physics, these relationships are often described using mathematical equations and laws, such as Newton's laws of motion or the ideal gas law.

Back