What Are the Velocities of the Broken Parts in a Plane Explosion?

In summary, a 5000 kg plane moving at 150 m/s horizontally breaks into two parts, 2000 kg and 3000 kg, due to an internal explosion. The bigger part is thrown away at a velocity of 400 m/s relative to the other part, in the opposite direction of the plane's previous movement. Using the conservation of momentum, the final velocities of the two parts are found to be 310 m/s and 90 m/s.
kalupahana

Homework Statement

A plane of a mass 5000 kg moving horizontally in 150 m/s break into two parts 2000 kg and 3000 kg because of a internal explosion. If the bigger part be thrown away with a 400 m/s relative to other part to opposite direction of previous moved direction before explosion, find the velocity of each part. [Ignore the air resistance]

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum
E=mv2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this, but I failed to do this one.

I don't know this is right or wrong
According to conservation of momentum

5000 x 150 - 3000u = 5000 x (400 - 150) - 400 x 3000
3(400 - u) = 50
1200 -3u = 50
1150 = 3u
u = 383.6

color black = Initial momentum of whole plane,
color blue = Initial momentum of 3000 kg part
color lime = final momentum of 3000 kg part
color red = final velocity of whole plane

The part in red or final velocity of whole plane. Is it right to take like that. I multiplied mass by the difference of initial velocity of plane and final velocity of 3000 kg part.

Please help me to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the answer script, the two velocities are 310 m/s and 90 m/s. My all tries are went wrong. I could not reach to this.

Related to What Are the Velocities of the Broken Parts in a Plane Explosion?

What is the velocity of broken parts?

The velocity of broken parts refers to the speed at which pieces or components of a larger object move when they are damaged or separated from the main body. This can vary depending on the type of damage and the size and weight of the broken parts.

How is the velocity of broken parts measured?

The velocity of broken parts can be measured using various methods, such as high-speed cameras, radar guns, or specialized sensors. These devices track the movement of the broken parts and calculate their speed in meters per second (m/s) or other units of velocity.

What factors can affect the velocity of broken parts?

The velocity of broken parts can be influenced by several factors, including the initial speed of the object before it broke, the angle and force of impact, the shape and weight of the broken parts, and the presence of external forces such as air resistance or friction.

Why is it important to study the velocity of broken parts?

Understanding the velocity of broken parts can provide valuable insights into the mechanics of damage and help improve the design and durability of objects. It can also assist in accident reconstruction and forensic investigations to determine the cause of an incident.

What other concepts are related to the velocity of broken parts?

The velocity of broken parts is closely related to concepts such as kinetic energy, momentum, and impact force. These factors can all impact the speed and trajectory of broken parts and are important to consider when studying the behavior of damaged objects.

Back